This artist uses jigsaw puzzles, with the same die cut pattern, to make these terrific mashups

Really nice work. Interesting you mention pixelation. Slightly different rationale, but using the same feature of jigsaw cutting, my Circuit-bent jigsaw series uses 6 jigsaws in each: http://geraintedwards.com/?page_id=46

3 Likes

Now I want to see the ‘negatives’ of those merged pictures.

But then I was assuming two source jigsaws. Until I read this:

I love your Circuit-bent jigsaw project! I’m a fan of any kind of artwork that excites both hemispheres of my brain at the same time, so I’ve just now enjoyed reading every word of your blog about it. When I’m not hunched over a jigsaw puzzle, I’m a computer science guy, and I was smiling and nodding the whole time I was reading. (Kudos for using an analog random number generator, by the way.) Well done!

3 Likes

In my experience, the inverse (“negative”) of one of my montages rarely turns out to be very interesting. But every once in a while, both “siblings” work out well. Two examples are “Bow Wow” and “Convergence and Emergence” at my site: http://www.puzzlemontage.com

1 Like

Yeah - saw those, and think they work well. I guess a montage is one thing but an inverse needs a slightly different approach / thought process.

Oh, really glad. Thanks Tim.:grinning:

1 Like

First, let me introduce myself to this forum. We manufacture custom photo jigsaw puzzles but do not “mass produce” jigsaws. We die cut, which means that we use a die that has a set pattern of pieces. This die can be used for a certain amount of uses and then it is retired. (We retire our dies earlier than most companies just to keep the cut sharp.)

If you order a puzzle from us (say 500 pieces) and order a few different puzzles with different photos it is completely possible to do this with your own personal photos. It’s tricky, but possible, as we would be using the same die for your puzzles. We do it in our shop for fun … If you order the same 500 piece puzzle after the die has been retired but we ordered multiple copies of the same die, you could potentially get the same cut. If we did not order multiple copies, the die would not be the same. FYI, dies are ridiculously expensive and are very time consuming to make. They can take up to a year to make.

I hope that this helps!

The Missing Piece Puzzle Company

3 Likes

Graham Rawle is another artist who sometimes does jigsaw mash-up artworks. I can’t find any examples online, unfortunately, but saw a few nice examples at a lecture he gave recently.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.