This artist uses jigsaw puzzles, with the same die cut pattern, to make these terrific mashups

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/11/this-artist-uses-jigsaw-puzzle.html

14 Likes

When if they were shooped, they’re awesome. Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

Wonderful thing!

4 Likes

I might also point out that some of the same artwork as the winter/summer post above the mutant kitten was also used for huge reproduction painting/prints as wall art. My parents purchased the “boy and dog at covered bridge” of the series back in the early 60s.
I’m not really sure what the proper terminology is for those repros, because I’d love to make a successful Google search for them.

Thanks, @capnjimbo ! The artist is most definitely Paul Detlefsen, and this one hung in the TV room for decades.

10 Likes

Huh. We did stuff like that in playschool. Maybe not as sophisticated, but still.

2 Likes

Any number of jigsaws can be amalgamated with the correct tool.

hammer

10 Likes

UK comedian Dave Gorman did this a couple of years ago on his tv show (Modern Life is Goodish) in a sequence about “custom-made” jigsaws and the limited die-presses they must have. To be honest, I think it works marginally better as the punchline to a routine than as a serious artform, but it’s fun, nevertheless.

3 Likes

The (jigsaw) artist gives the original art as being from Paul Detlefsen “Four Seasons” series, if that’s any help? There are some 60" Detlefsen lithographs on ebay, which is possibly what you’re after, but not of the paintings in question.

3 Likes

Thanks, I found the image!

1 Like

Wait - are you my kid? because I been telling everyone my kid could have done that!

Can I have the car tonight, dad?

3 Likes

analog deep dream?

3 Likes

Finally something to convince me jigsaw puzzles aren’t a boring time-killer.

1 Like

It would be cool if you could create a totally third thing out of those—not just the two mashed together, but making an entirely new image that doesn’t refer to either of the originals. I’m thinking that the busier they are, the more the pieces could just become points of color to use in a completely different way.

Also, I wonder how it would look if you mashed them together like a checkerboard—every other piece from either of them?

2 Likes

So, if you look at some of these (links from the post), there are some that are more artsy:

(That is a link to a set, not just the image that’s showing)

7 Likes

I’m thinking about something kinda like how patchwork quilts are often made of different printed fabrics, but what’s printed on the pieces becomes just color and shade when they’re subsumed into a larger scheme. Like, destroy the raccoons, destroy the hamburger bun—they wouldn’t be those things at all anymore. (cute as raccoons in a bun are)

(Okay, now I’ve followed your link to Mel Andringa’s flickr…) Yes, some of the more “artsy” ones of Mel Andringa’s are more what I’m thinking of. And of Tim Klein’s, his two “Metamorphosis” ones at his puzzlemontage link are a bit like what I’m thinking of, with the maze-printed pieces made into butterfly wings—i.e., the butterfly wings are a third thing that’s not present in either of the two original images…

Anyway—thanks for posting about this, Rusty, a wonderful thing, and best wishes to Tim Klein :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve never managed to use pieces from more than two or three puzzles in the same piece, but in “Male Head” (visible at the linked Flickr page), Mel Andringa used no fewer than 5 different puzzles that he was able to find that had the same cut pattern. He has this to say about it: “If I have lots of puzzles with different pictures and the same cut, I can almost paint with the pieces. Five hundred pieces allows me to create simple silhouettes or shapes albeit with some pixilation.”

5 Likes

Is this something I would need to have a car to agree to?

Oh dad, you are so lame!
(Rolls eyes, leaves in a huff.)

1 Like

Did this a lot when I was young. (Pre-internet.). Nothing thus interesting, but same concept,

The more interesting article would be a discussion of how puzzles get manufacture.