This cheese rolling contest makes a hockey fight look like a loving embrace

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/29/this-cheese-rolling-contest-ma.html

3 Likes

Well maybe the do it every year cause they get so concussed they don’t remember trying last year?

7 Likes

The Running of the Bulls Cheese.

4 Likes

Bull’s Cheese is something I don’t want to think too much about.

10 Likes

Who knew that cheese could be more dangerous than angry bulls?

4 Likes

the video-maker got some great footage but skipped the payoff in every heat—we never see anyone catch their cheese. The one injured lady is holding hers in one shot at the end, but nothing in the actual gameplay. Watching this is like watching the superbowl and the network cutting out before every touchdown.

3 Likes

I find it easier to just…ya know…go to the market.

8 Likes

Less painful anyway.

5 Likes

Things like this give me some hope for humanity.

3 Likes

Kinda reminds me of your basic US political primary

2 Likes

If that happened in a video game, everyone would say it looked unrealistic, that they’d turned the tumbling up too high.

6 Likes

To anyone watching this outside the UK, cheese rolling is the second biggest sport in the country. Only cow tipping is more popular.

10 Likes

I like how Youtube ask me if I can help translating the video… Hummmm…

-Oooooh!
-Uuuuuuuu!
-Yeeeeeh!
-Wohooo!

3 Likes

The year I went to watch, none of the chasers got anywhere near the cheese. The winner is the first to excavate the cheese from the gently smoking hole in the hay bales they use as a backstop.

4 Likes

I’m gonna go find me a hill!

2 Likes

Deadpool @ 1:00 :smiley:

1 Like

Also in Cotswold:

Which prompts the question: what is wrong with these people?
4 Likes

Gloucestershire is weird. Always has been, always will be. Lovely place.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ll just note that nobody is going to run down a hill to get a wheel of Suffolk cheese.

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/suffolkcheese.htm

1 Like