American YouTuber hospitalized after cheese-rolling race in Gloucestershire

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/31/american-youtuber-hospitalized-after-cheese-rolling-race-in-gloucestershire.html

4 Likes

I thought that event was canceled years ago? Guess it’s back by popular demand, safety be damned.

5 Likes

Ah, the oblivious folly of youth.

He now has injuries that will haunt his elder years, assuming he doesn’t kill himself next time.

7 Likes

“I want to do it again because I know how to win now.”

There is no evidence of that.

7 Likes

That must be some damn special cheese. It’s almost as bad as Black Friday there.

4 Likes

The winner of this year’s women’s race was Abby Lampe from North Carolina. She won it last year, too!
IMG_5389

13 Likes

The invalids broken on the cheese wheels of Gloucestershire seem like they need a really depressing folk song.

7 Likes

Look at that cheesy grin!

10 Likes

Wallace And Gromit Cheese GIF

13 Likes

Cheese rolling is a young person’s game. I’m more into the Bibury Boxing Day Duck Race.

7 Likes

Left this comment on the video:

This video was preceded by, of all things, an ad for a local personal injury lawyer. “Were you injured in an auto accident?” he asks the viewer. Couldn’t help replying aloud, “No, I was injured in a cheese-rolling competition.”

13 Likes

Ok - so I think he is trying in the first sentence or so to say where in the UK it is.

All I got was ‘Pacific Lecher City’.

And he was lucky it has been a very wet year so far. Sliding was much easier for parts of the descent, as a result. In a dry year that hard ground gradient will be rock hard and seriously dangerous, even rolling.

1 Like

Somewhere in the multiverse, they have The Running of the Cheese Wheels, with young men chased through the streets by large angry cheese wheels.

9 Likes

I’ve lived in the UK all my 55 years and never heard of the place, but this is the second time I’ve heard about Bibury in the last month. First time was here:

South of Fukuoka in Kyushu. An excellent cup of tea with scone, jam + cream - the owner showed me her phone with Google Translate, saying “I’m nervous to have someone from England trying my food”. She didn’t need to be - it was :100::

15 Likes

Brexit, baby. Take back control!

4 Likes

Looks pretty much perfect.

4 Likes

It came back before Brexit.

This was one of those times when “health and safety” fears actually meant legal and financial fears.

4 Likes

Don’t ruin my quips with facts.

6 Likes

There’s a saying relating to another dangerous calendar custom:

If you’ve never seen Haxey Hood, you’re an idiot. If you’ve seen it more than once, you’re a fool.

1 Like

That scone looks spot on!

I’ve been to a number of local tea or coffee shops in Japan. They always have an individual quirky appeal, driven by the owner’s personality.

4 Likes