This clueless Florida Mayor's resignation reaffirms the need for financial disclosure

Originally published at: Clueless Florida Mayor completely misses the point - Boing Boing

6 Likes

[Exercise Caution: clicking on a TV Tropes can lead to hours of lost productivity]

7 Likes

It’s astonishing to me that Congress, SCOTUS, and POTUS have such weak rules/norms when it comes to financial disclosures and restrictions on trading.

I guess it shouldn’t be so surprising, considering who would be writing the rules in the first place, but the latitude for grifters and fraudsters and insider trading is eyebrow-raising.

6 Likes

Fun things is that the Florida legislator and the executive branch heads have had to do this for a long time. Lots of petty politicians in Fla are doing the same whine. I say if you don’t won’t to disclose (and therefore violate the law) then quit. Someone will be found to replace you. Nobody is going shed any tears.

6 Likes

While I’m always disappointed when a criminal in charge of government resources gets away, I have to keep telling myself that it hardly matters. Even when their tainted decisions are exposed, nobody ever goes back and rights the wrongs.

So I’ll have to accept that even though they skate without much in the way of consequences, at least they’re no longer in a position to continue to corrupt the government.

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.