This compassionate vet goes to great lengths (including the floor) to befriend a very scared dog

Originally published at: This compassionate vet goes to great lengths (including the floor) to befriend a very scared dog | Boing Boing

22 Likes

Little Rascals Awww GIF

24 Likes

That was super adorable.

26 Likes

Cross-species empathy and kindness is the best.

24 Likes

Is that how we’ll get the truckers out of Ottawa?

12 Likes

Both of them are very good boys.

27 Likes

One minute in, though – the internal monologue of the dog:

bachelorau GIF by The Bachelor Australia

17 Likes

The “submit completely on the floor” thing gets all the attention but I wonder if the “be a wall to hide behind” thing is the closer.

19 Likes

No, that’ll be big, vicious dogs :worried:
[ETA: Sad face is for dogs that have been trained to be big and vicious and bite people who cops are pissed off at, not sad face for antivax/fascist trucker loons. Because fuck them]

6 Likes

Clicking on the supposed link does nothing. This is typical with TikTok links for me.

3 Likes

Can you share with me the secret of not having TikTok links work? :rofl: I’m kidding. This video gets a pass for it’s wholesomeness, but the lion’s share of TikTok can sod off.

angry employee office destruction GIF

4 Likes

I don’t need a TikTok account. All the good ones end up posted here. Oh, and awwwwwwww!

4 Likes

Some days I wish I had a Dr. Thomas Hamilton in my life.

7 Likes

Lovely, thank you.

5 Likes

I have done the lying down trick too, it shows you’re vulnerable and not a big looming threat.

9 Likes

Dogs do the same to show another dog that they are relaxed and harmless, although some have also learned that lying down means the owner can’t easily pull them away from the dog they want to meet.´

I think he was crowding the dog a bit too much into the corner, but then vets have limited time and have to push a bit to speed up the trust building. If you do it in a larger space it’ll probably take a lot longer until the dog dares to approach.

5 Likes

Ok, this is the last time I’m going to comment that the Hindustan Times seems to be a pipeline to BoingBoing for all videos pet related. Should we be going oversees for our pet video needs, or is there a domestic source that would save some carbon?

Nothing against the Hindustan Times, I’ve been to their headquarters in Delhi. The Times Of India (just several blocks away) wouldn’t give a tour.

5 Likes

Gah, typical Times of India behaviour. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Dogs have got heads absolutely designed for massage. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I think the vet’s approach would’ve gone 10 times faster if it weren’t for the person with the camera.

9 Likes