This door folds open like origami

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/this-door-folds-open-like-orig.html

3 Likes

Seems like a great way to sustain a crush injury to an extremity.

6 Likes

If you have a door like that you don’t open it yourself; your sinister underground lair/cutting edge spaceship’s master computer opens it for you as you approach.

With a suitably swish pneumatic and/or hydraulic sound.

10 Likes

Very cool design and potentially quite secure. You could use continuous angle brackets at the top and bottom of the frame to secure the ends against attack and use a lock that folded over the ‘handle’ to secure the opening. The multiple hinges would be a security issue unless you used piano style continuous hinges.
It sure won’t meet Fire Code, though!

1 Like

But what about my guests’ safety?!

The master computer has a copy of the guest list. The invited have nothing to fear; and for any others, that’s why you provided the master computer with a complement of contaminant purge drones.

5 Likes

I think you actually have to say “swish” to get it to open.

2 Likes

It could really confuse emergency first responders?

1 Like
4 Likes

is certainly better than the damned barn door craze

8 Likes

I need a door like this for my geodesic dome.

Every time I see this door it reminds me of the movie Demon Seed.

3 Likes

You could open the door in a snow drift without having to clear out the snow first.

7 Likes

One advantage is that the door needs less clearance, which would be useful if you wanted a door from a narrow alley.

If w is the width of the door, then it looks like the door swings out w*root(2)/2 distance, minus a little since the handle goes flat. So if the door is a meter wide, you only need around 0.7 meter clearance.

6 Likes

Not sure clearance is the main reason. Convential double opening doors need only 0.5m clearance, and an old-fashioned sliding door needs 0m…

4 Likes
2 Likes

It’s still a pinching, crushing hazard just like the last dozen times it made the rounds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.