Door based on rotating squares

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Looks pinchy.

8 Likes

It needs some warning sign “You must be THIS minimalist to use this door”

11 Likes

I was prepared to be my usual dismissive negative boy, but that thing is beautiful.

7 Likes

Agreed. Impressive design + fabrication. Looks smooth like butter.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to replicate, but I’m not sure I can pull it off. It would be awesome.

2 Likes

Beautiful. My kids would destroy it within 24 hours of installation.

4 Likes

A cooler version of a pocket door. How does it work from the other side?

1 Like

Except for the fact the door still has to extend into the living space.

And is it really a door if it doesn’t fit into the actual frame?
(Of course I assume a different type of frame/lock design could be made to accomodate this design.)

1 Like

I’m really wondering where I can get those awesome squeaky floor boards…cause holy shit that’d drive me insane.

8 Likes

Except it’s not even really properly minimalist. You could have a sliding door that’s ten times sturdier with fewer points of failue in less space - much simpler.

2 Likes

Well ordinarily they’re the product of renting a structure that hasn’t been maintained for decades, and the floors are literally falling apart underfoot, but you could always recreate the effect intentionally if you absolutely had to.

If you have a lot of time, buy a place and let it to go to seed. If you’re on a schedule, buy a place and either tear out the floor to replace it with a purposefully weakened counterpart, or just dump acid in the cracks and throw a dozen bowling balls around for an hour or two. If you’re renting, just look for a “middle price range” apartment in New York. /snark

2 Likes

Wow! That’s radical, too!

√2?

Diagonal of a unit square?

okay. never mind. sorry.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind having one, but it won’t end well with the cat.

5 Likes

Looks like a good way to slice fingers off hands. Might be plausible as a replacement for certain kinds of fire doors, being mechanically simpler than tracks with counterweights. i.e.:

http://catalogs.activis.ca/clients/portesaccent_com/en/prod_36.html

But I’ll bet they turn in in some SF movie within the next 18 months!

1 Like

Look, I just want a door. A simple door…you open and you close it. It doesn’t need to enlighten me, make stand back in awe of the design cleverness while I spend an extra 5 seconds to get through the damn door marveling at it’s design because after the 5th time it would get tedious.
It’s a door…it’s job is to open and to close.

1 Like

If everything was designed on those principles it would be a very dull world

4 Likes

As the door closed behind them it became apparent that it did indeed have a satisfied sigh-like quality to it. “Hummmmmmmyummmmmmm ah!” it said.

9 Likes

Some day in the distant future this thread will be studied to understand why Western Culture collapsed into a heap of self-satisfied boring people.

9 Likes

If not, it would destroy their fingers within a week.

1 Like