This drawbridge is a work of art

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/26/this-drawbridge-is-a-work-of-art.html

16 Likes

Wow. Watch the video, if you haven’t. From the pictures, I didn’t realize how high it lifts the roadway. Once all the way up, it looks like the world’s largest yield sign!

19 Likes

Nifty!

I presume the bridge has some graffiti deterents otherwise the raised bridge underside would be a prime target.

13 Likes

Could it be used to flip trucks over the 11’8"+8 bridge?

27 Likes

There are certainly some fun drawbridges out there. As a mechanical engineer they’re my favorite category of bridges!

Roll-back-and-forth-smallCredit-Jim-Stephenson
tumblr_ncs2a0ZStC1r1tezoo1_500
Merchant-Square-footbridge-by-Knight-Architects_dezeen
b01ec2938b1d2fbe5b09096f20307127

35 Likes

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

13 Likes

Kind of feel like the Falkirk Wheel fits here, despite not actually being a bridge:

22 Likes

Also there’s this thing, which isn’t quite a drawbridge but certainly feels drawbridge-adjacent:

14 Likes

Be warned – landscape, portrait anti-clockwise, landscape, portrait clockwise, landscape is disorienting. Minor gripe aside it is an impressive and pleasing bridge.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the rare instances where they probably should have started in portrait mode and stayed there.

6 Likes

That’s like a cross between a bridge and a ferry.

They should call it the Berry Fridge.

11 Likes

Full credit to the scooter driver who was the only one to wait until the red lights were off before crossing the bridge.

8 Likes

The technical term is “transporter bridge”. The Vizcaya Bridge is the first of its kind, but there are many more of them. I’ve been to the Tees Transporter Bridge in Middlesbrough which was unfortunately closed at the time. But I was able to travel the gondola of Rendsburg High Bridge. Rendsburg is 1.5h north of Hamburg, and if you take the train from Hamburg, you get to ride on top of the bridge, too!

7 Likes

Deck being raised : Shamen performing ritual

Deck being lowered : Bon Appetit!

7 Likes

Or a tramway that – in the case of Slauerhoff Bridge – is configured to also transport vehicles?

ex: Manhattan Island ↔ Roosevelt Island sans vehicles

That last gif: They should install giant eyelashes, jutting out from the walkway’s outer edge. Reinforce the notion of a blink. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I somehow expected a large pencil to be involved.

4 Likes

There’s one in Bristol that operates in a conventional way, but I think is aesthetically pleasing; Pero’s Bridge
Pero-s-bridge-bristol-7462320-492-362

However, it’s usually covered in ‘love locks’, which have to be removed every so often. I’m not sure if it can even balance correctly when it’s covered in locks.

8 Likes

Is there someone worshiping the open bridge?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.