This epic burning ladder stretches hundreds of feet into the sky

Originally published at: This epic burning ladder stretches hundreds of feet into the sky | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Me living in california: :grimacing:

3 Likes

“Hundreds of feet”? 5,000 meters is more than 15,000 feet.

4 Likes

Genesis 28:10–19: And Jacob went out from Beer-sheba, and went toward Haran. And he lighted upon the place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took one of the stones of the place, and put it under his head, and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven; and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

(“Was there a lot of ‘descending’ going on?” “Sure, but just for adorations and announcements kind o’ thing; not for actual ‘fraternizing’ or hell establishing y’understand”)

3 Likes

It’s 500 metres.

8 Likes

Here I was hoping for the balloon to be filled with hydrogen+ some pure oxygen -but this was still pretty darn cool!

4 Likes

Going up a Sky Ladder seems like a lot of work. I’ll wait and take the Space Elevator.

2 Likes

Taking the 500 meter height as the distance to the top rung, and dividing by the number of rungs that I counted (83 rungs), I got a distance of 6 meters or 20 feet between each rung. This is assuming that the ladders rungs are equally spaced, for ease of climbing.

Also, the distance between the rungs looks pretty similar to the distance between the side rails, so each rung is probably about 6 meters or 20 feet long.

In short, this is a Sky Ladder, for Sky Giants.

4 Likes

Yes. That would have ended the show with a bang!

Pretty much the prototypical Burning Man art piece. I suppose the prior art would make this an attractive nuisance for climbers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comments/te179d/the_ladder_to_nowhere_2005_do_you_think_something/

So, reality was actually Lode Runner gameplay?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.