Watch a man take a frightening ride on the world's tallest bicycle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/15/watch-a-man-take-a-frightening-ride-on-the-worlds-tallest-bicycle.html

6 Likes

Contributed by Popkin

Video for BBS:

7 Likes

It looks quite heavy, I’m surprised regular bike wheels don’t get crushed. I suppose they’re high-performance mountain bike wheels that people otherwise use for jumps and can take a lot of force. At first I thought only the rider was in a safety harness and I was far more worried about the audience that would get pretty squished if the bike fell over, but then I realized the bike was attached to the cables as well. Still, I imagine the rider could potentially be in bad shape if it tipped over at all or it ran into something (even riding in a straight line seems like a real challenge).

10 Likes

TIL twenty-five feet tall is much bigger than twenty-five feet across… :fearful:

5 Likes

The peak of Mount Everest is about 5.5 miles above sea level. Most anyone in halfway decent physical condition can walk 5.5 miles quite easily. I can drive 5.5 miles in 5 minutes. But going up 5.5 miles? That requires either hardcore mountain climbing skills, an airplane with a pressurized cabin, or a rocket. Gravity is no joke.

4 Likes

I’m glad he was wearing a helmet!

3 Likes

It looks like the main vertical portion of the structure is mostly made of unpainted 2x4 lumber. And hey, if it works, it works! Neat to see someone achieve their silly dreams of a world record without having to raise tons of cash to build a jet-powered car or whatever.

3 Likes

Obligatory

4 Likes

And rode on a designated bike path.

1 Like

7 Likes

Does it really count with him wearing the safety harness?

“afraid of heights” - just reminded me of this gem:

brb, off to track down all the episodes of Naked Video and the wisdom of Siadwell

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.