Astounding bicycle ride across the streets and surfaces of San Francisco (video)

Originally published at: Astounding bicycle ride across the streets and surfaces of San Francisco (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That was amazing. If I tried any of that I would be dead about 10 seconds into that video!

4 Likes

With all the movies based on X-treme elements, this really calls out for a heist film. Forget motorcycle-riding smash and grabbers, I want to see some bicycle parkour chase scenes.

11 Likes

I were right about that saddle though

4 Likes

I admire him for including some screwups in all of that.

14 Likes

Really awesome, and I dug the music. I also really respect he left in some of the fails and then his follow up to nail the move, that’s really cool of him. Just a reminder that even the best don’t always succeed.

6 Likes

Also check out this behind the scenes video where he explains some of the stunts: Danny MacAskill Explains His Hardest Stunts! - YouTube

4 Likes

I bet at the end of the day he gets that weird feeling in his legs when he steps off the bike, like when you’ve been skiing all day or roller-skating all day. Suddenly the laws of physics have been changed but only as applicable to your legs.

8 Likes

After being impressed, I started wondering how aware the property owners were that this was going on, as he couldn’t even access some of these places (e.g. Alcatraz) without it, but then I can’t imagine anyone saying, “Oh, you want to perform dangerous stunts highly likely to cause you bodily harm in a place where I have legal liability? Go for it!” But may he’s just got some really comprehensive insurance…

2 Likes

Courtesy of Red Bull.

6 Likes

Hey, I get that feeling when I step down after 30 minutes on the Stairmaster.

2 Likes

Wow, this really reminded me of the types of videos that made me really want to start riding a BMX bike in my teenage years. Still not sure whether being far too scared for that was a good or bad thing, but this was still an amazing watch. “Hey, you think parkour is cool? I do that on my bike.”

2 Likes

I like the bits where they leave in an out-takes. It really shows how much skill is needed for the rests of the stunts.

2 Likes

Guy is incredible. This is a great video, but not his best work, I highly recommend looking for his earlier films. Some tricks just feel magic,music is always great.

1 Like

I love Danny and I love The Shins so this was fantastic!

3 Likes

Danny is always such a joy to watch. His moves always get at least a “wow” out of me, but there were a few in this one that got a “Aw, bullshit! I that even possible?!?” It’s possible for him, it seems. So much fun.

1 Like

ok, now do it ten years ago and on a bike that won the Tour de France:

1 Like

Not for nothing, Ashton suffered a disabling injury at a trials event within 24 months of that video dropping. :frowning:

… I did, and my spine is still paying for it

I noticed that his bike is geared 1:1 like a unicycle. This is also true of a bike ballet-ish troupe that I remember being famous some years ago. It’s a completely different world from riding a bike to go somewhere.

1 Like