This Florida public school teacher has a white nationalist podcast

JFC cognitive dissonance? She acknowledges she’s a racist and in the system and then denies it exists?

6 Likes

Oh hell yes!!! Gould’s The Mismeasure of Man kicks twelve kinds of ass, and then a thirteenth for fun.

7 Likes

I’m going to say no IMO, because IQ is useful, especially at a population level, in that it does correlate reasonably strongly with lots of things, none of which have anything to do with any kind of racial genetic superiority.

In an ideal world everyone would immediately admit that the whole question of genetically-determined racial IQ differences is stupid, because even if such a thing existed then (1) individual variation is high enough that that is the dominant source of IQ differences anyway, and (2) genetically-determined variation in IQ is irrelevant to the human rights, dignity, and intrinsic worth of any particular human.

In this world, the next best thing might be to collect enough data to actually answer the questions of whether, at this moment, IQ correlates with “race” separately from social class, income, wealth, nationality, and a host of other things, and then also whether any variations that exist are a result of environmental factors (including everything from education opportunity to healthcare access to nutrition to lead exposure to iodine deficiency - basically all of the things that have driven the Flynn effect over the past century). I very highly doubt there would be any gap left to explain, and even if there were we would have shown along that way that all of the arguments people like this “teacher” are actually making are false anyway. I also think it would go a long way towards getting help for the underserved white people in this country, who could benefit a lot from a few extra IQ points that better governance could provide fairly cheaply to their future generations.

It’s a wasteful approach and feels squicky at best, but maybe it might actually work to shut the idiots up at least some of the time? Or maybe I’m still being to naive in thinking anyone of the people spouting or listening to this stuff actually care whether it is true.

5 Likes

But is she skilled with a firearm? That’s all Trump cares about.

3 Likes

Obligatory Preacher reference to white supremacist morons.

17 Likes

That never gets old.

5 Likes

Ironically, I’ve probably met more people boasting about how they don’t care about IQ scores, than people boasting about their IQ. And that includes having been a Mensa member for some years!

(In my case, yes, I’ve got a very high IQ, but I’m far less successful than many people I know who may have lower “raw intelligence” but who have better focus, better study habits, better social networking skills, and no issues with depression. Intelligence helps, but beyond high school, you can’t succeed on raw smarts alone.)

3 Likes

I saw this on a BLM site yesterday, fave comment-

“She ain’t no master race with those eyebrows”

6 Likes

I guess my issue is that IQ scales so neatly with so many social factors, and is solely indicative of so little, that I can’t help but wonder if the whole thing is inherently biased so deeply that it is basically hampering any real betterment of people.

3 Likes

Because, like all US white supremacists, she sees herself as the persecuted underdog working against a system dominated by people against her, not as a favored class that the system supports.

4 Likes

Not to mention I know some brilliant people who do some really dumb things.

2 Likes

The best way I’ve seen it explained is that IQ is for all intents a metric related to your success in a given society. Considering that US society/culture was created and maintained by white supremacists, then it would follow that whites would fare better on a test designed for fitness within that system.

4 Likes

The Gould has some illustrations.
The Rutherford: I just read it, but I don’t seem to recall any.

2 Likes

The other one is also quite enjoyable.

2 Likes

Removed from the classroom But unfortunately not from the gene pool
I’m praying she wins herself a darwin award.
Having been the focus of a teachers preconceived bias this story really upsets me

4 Likes

The irony of this is in the woman’s own image; she looks more Latinx or possibly Middle Eastern to me - ie, not nearly White enough for Hitler’s ‘aryan standards’ (which he himself was not .)

Self-hatred is a helluva drug.

No sympathy for the internet dragging she’s about to get…

11 Likes

“Fascinating” might not be quite the word that I would use to describe it.

I wonder what school system “educated” this woman. It seems she’s bad at anthropology and math.

2 Likes

That’s a great question, and I have no idea about the answer. I look at IQ as one of the many important-but-not-sufficient factors contributing to success in many fields. It’s like height in basketball - and in fact “eminent theoretical physicists are about as smart as pro basketball players are tall.” It’s important for people trying to understand society to know this, but that doesn’t mean any individual should care about their own IQ score much. In most cases it’s unlikely to be the critical factor, and most people self-select into fields where they have more talent and interest anyway as long as they’re given the resources/freedom/opportunity/etc. to figure out what their talents and interests are for themselves. The problem in practice is that most people aren’t given that, and people sometimes use bad arguments about IQ to try to justify continuing to not give them that.

OTOH, if you really want to make a case for the genetic IQ superiority of particular groups of people, you probably ought to be looking at Ashkenazi Jews, especially those born in central Europe between 1880 and 1920, though the pattern continues to the present day. Somehow I don’t expect the neo-Nazi and white supremacist crowds to like that result much, though.

1 Like

Trudat! I’ve had so many co-workers who bragged about their ‘giant genius’ IQ’s while we were both doing the same garbage job. The difference between us? They had been doing that job for about 20 years, I’d been doing it for about 2 months, and I knew I wouldn’t be there in about another 2 months …greener pastures.

Most recent ‘Giant Genius’ IQ co-worker: He was telling me about being tested as a kid while we both swept dead leaves and mixed rodent droppings from an abandoned house. While he was talking, he dropped his cigarette into the sweepings, picked it up and put it back in his mouth without missing a beat.

4 Likes