This Florida public school teacher has a white nationalist podcast

I understand the appeal of IQ testing. But it makes no sense to me. If Person A’s IQ is 130 and Person B’s IQ is 120, is Person A ~8% smarter than Person B?

What would that even mean?

2 Likes

Yay, we’re winning!

JK, I myself subscribe to the idea that intelligence has many axes (and frankly I strongly suspect that even MI theory attempts to delineate an more complex continuous space)…

1 Like

My similar experience with Trump supporters is that they all believe they are experts on constitutional law (and Obama was nothing but a ‘community organizer’). When I suggested that I was NOT an expert on constitutional law, but I tended to side with appellate court judges with decades of experience, they mocked me for not knowing as much everything as they did. “After all”, they said, “Constitutional law is simply a matter of common sense”.

I didn’t know whether to face-palm or laugh.

2 Likes

Heh… oddly I partially represent that demographic (or rather that genetic lineage), but I’m still not sure it’s meaningful. My abnormal IQ was discovered while being tested for cognitive impairment, oddly enough, which it turned out I didn’t have. Once I had a number hands were dusted. Yet I’m ok and not ok, I’ve cleverly gotten myself out of things but I’ve both cleverly and not so cleverly gotten myself into them with mixed and largely unpredictable results even to myself. I have no true pronounced meaningful talents and have ambled about my life being wonderfully unimpressive. Did I really have more intrinsic potential with that number then, or was it just another way people convince themselves they know more than they actually do about the aptitudes of others?

5 Likes
6 Likes

Yep. I used to work with a truly brilliant programmer. He didn’t own a coat, because it was a waste of money, since he only ever was outside going to or from his car.

But all the same, it was a spectator sport in the winter to watch him put his hands in his jeans pockets and try to sprint to the office across the parking lot.

“What price, dignity?” I’d muse. “10 dollars for a cheap coat.”

2 Likes

I really hate it when people invoke “Common Sense”. All it means is an argument which has been framed in simple terms, with the conclusion already baked into the framing.

Some are fools have bought into someone else’s kool-aid, and others are just using a disingenuous argument tactic.

The fact of the matter is, some truths are counter-intuitive! As are some solutions–solutions which we know work better than intuitive solutions.

7 Likes

I have no idea, but that must have sucked. I also know that having a high overall level of the types of intelligence IQ measures shouldn’t be assumed to mean that a particular person lacks a particular cognitive impairment or even just different levels of different types of mental abilities, or stop them from getting help in reaching their potential whatever it may be.

Last year (as an adult) I went through a neuropsych evaluation and they definitely identified areas of deficiency, and also pointed out that even some areas where I was technically above average probably felt like relative weaknesses compared to my overall results. Maybe that means testing for medical purposes has gotten more discriminating, I hope?

1 Like

I’m waiting for one of the “god’s gift to programming” guys I work with to come down with campylobacteriosis from drinking raw milk, which he insists is healthier because pasteurization kills all of the “good bacteria”.

His license plate also says MAGA.

4 Likes

Thankfully, my (now ex-coworker) was a really nice and humble guy.

Even self aware enough that he admitted to me that his fiancee forced him into a compromise where he now wears a hoodie in the winter. :wink:

2 Likes

I hope so too, but I guess my issue with IQ is that first of all we don’t actually have a great working functional model of intelligence in the first place. Secondly we have a series of tests that at best indicates a confused mess of privilege and inherent aptitudes which we actually show no sign of being able to use to improve life quality or meet the needs of others but rather tend to use as an exclusionary measure for those who are deemed “less likely to deliver ROI.” The whole system seems fucked.

4 Likes

11 Likes

It measures a certain type of problem solving ability on a somewhat arbitrary scale. Look here under Normal Results and Key Terms to understand the numbering.

Because this particular kind of problem solving ability is very highly valued in industrialized societies, it’s not a bad predictor of how well a person will perform in disciplines like civil engineering and factory automation that rely heavily on it, and on average it correlates well with economic success in such societies.

The test is understood to be meaningless at the extreme ends; if you have a Stanford-Binet measured Intelligence Quotient (IQ) score over 150 or so, or under 50, it just means your IQ cannot be measured by the test.

I personally agree with @GulliverFoyle about the multiple intelligences, though. Reducing something as complex as human sentience to a single number seems too limiting for most purposes.

5 Likes

Even if IQ were a direct indicator of intelligence, what’s her endgame? Does she think people should treat anyone less intelligent than themselves as a subhuman inferior species? If not, then why bring it up in the first place? Even taking her words at face value rather than a flimsy veil for her hatred, she still has no defense whatsoever. Why even bother pretending, lady?

10 Likes

Also: the Flynn effect, etc.
IQ is not a good measure of “intelligence.”

Just because one has a job, doesn’t mean one is good at it. Idiots manage to get into all sorts of positions where you’d think the stupidity would have been a fatal impediment.

What struck me is that it’s clearly an attempt at an anagram, yet it actually isn’t. I’m not sure if she just failed to make an anagram, or that was the “clever” bit to attempt to separate the pseudonym from her real identity.

It’s really frightening how much power teachers can have on the future education and prospects of a student, completely independent of how smart or capable the student is. In so many school systems, even in the US, a teacher can set students on fixed tracks at an early age that determine how the schools treat them and what educational resources they have access to. I know a number of people for whom a single teacher dictated their educational trajectory (for good and ill) and therefore their lives.

5 Likes

I see a cabinet position in her future!

2 Likes

I think it’s funny the way these people say they detest collectivism, but having no achievements of their own, love to glom onto the shine of the perceived merits of a group of others.

4 Likes

And the weird thing is that I was under the impression that Asian scores collectively tended to be higher than Caucasian scores… Weird that the white supremacists aren’t readily acknowledging their obvious inferiority and promoting the Asian Ideal… (not that it exists, and yes, I get the inherent idiocy of pretending that “Asia” is some single monolithic culture/race etc…).

I mean c’mon alt-right-ers, if you’re really interested in superiority as demonstrated by stupid test scores, than shouldn’t your entire goal in life be to emulate Asian culture, and do your best to dilute your inferior caucasian bloodline?

(and no, for the people who will read this and be offended, I do not actually believe this position. It is stupid and ridiculous)

3 Likes

well, entirely reasonable given the Jewish banking cabal that secretly runs the Illuminati, and thus the government.

And then there’s George Soros…

Man, I keep asking my wife when we’re going to get our cut of the secret banking money. She won’t tell me…

7 Likes

Personally I want to get in on the protest money. I could take a few days off to protest if the money was good.

4 Likes