This footage of the MTS Oceanos sinking is still astounding

Akin to Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly . . .

5 Likes

But her emails!

2 Likes

You all are awesome! ^.^

1 Like

I was in East London, South Africa, on the day that the Oceanos left port, and I saw her plunging through enourmous waves trying to get out of the harbour on the Buffalo River. A relative of mine had been at a wedding reception on board while it was docked, but thankfully she’d disembarked before it sailed.
The wind that weekend was truly astonishing. It was so strong at one point that it lifted my mom off her feet while she clung to her car door, and my mom wasn’t a small woman. It blew the entire 50m brick front wall of our property in Port Elizabeth flat. Our housesitter was pretty shellshocked when we got home from our trip to East London.
One of the lifeboats washed up at Schoenmaker’s Kop outside Port Elizabeth two weeks later. It was really banged up.
Interesting side note: after the sinking, which was big news in South Africa, a whole bunch of faxed memes started going around various offices, since nobody had email at that point. I remember one of them that claimed the captain’s name was ‘Hokay Mefurst’.

5 Likes

Now there’s a boingworthy subject. What about even earlier? Were there telegraphic memes? Semaphor? Smoke signal?

4 Likes

The captain mistakenly thought he was piloting RP FLIP. (http://blog.kineticarchitecture.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Flip_8.gif)

8 Likes

#WHOAH!

The ship has specially designed interiors. Some fixtures, such as the toilet seats, can flip 90°.

4 Likes

I can’t remember on what TV program i had seen this ship in action, but most likely something related to Discovery Channel. It’s a really cool research vessel for sure :smiley:

1 Like

There were, but I’m having trouble finding the right search terms to give you an example, in the mean time, here’s some typewriter art.

2 Likes

Glad to see that the video with the cheesy sound effects is gone. That reminds me of videos I’ve seen of the PEPCON explosion. In the real footage, it takes several seconds for the blast wave to reach the camera operator. The Hollywoodized version redubs it so the sound comes at the instant the plant blows up. One more example of Reality TV Isn’t.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.