This gorgeous Dune fan art is like an epic art nouveau Anime adaptation of the series

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/this-gorgeous-dune-fan-art-is.html

7 Likes

Dune Tarot cards? I’m imagining a deck.

8 Likes

I love that he has Alia and Leto II from the sequels. The I more reread and think of them, the more I feel they are critical and really advance the original beautifully. But I kind of hate messiah tropes, anyhow.

4 Likes

What is it with BB blog view that means every instagram embed ever included is just a load of white space on my browser page? If I click through to load the post in its own page I also get a load of white space at first but eventually some images do load.

4 Likes

I’ve never seen any artistic representation of the God Emperor without going “damn, Frank Herbert had one fucked up imagination”

2 Likes

DEFINITELY seeing an Aubrey Beardsley influence here. these are so gorgeous.

4 Likes

Without the rude bits. :wink:

If you like Beardsley, you’ll enjoy watching this.

1 Like

Can’t enjoy it in the US. BBC4 doesn’t allow it.
I wish I didn’t have ethical issues with breaking DRM. Some day, it’ll be on some streaming service I have. One can hope.

A VPN is your friend. But each to their own ethical issues.

Also here. No idea if this is legit or not, either.

4 Likes

It’s educational, so… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

In my case, using Firefox I found that if enhanced tracking protection is on strict it breaks some embeds like IG. By clicking the shield on the left of the address bar when you’re on boingboing.net you can disable it for the site. Can’t speak to other browsers, though; could be similar settings. Hope this helps.

Thanks, but using Brave browser. Probably a setting deep in there somewhere, too.
Hey-ho.

1 Like

dang, and now i’m super curious about it! i love Gatiss, and him talking about Aubrey Beardsley? omg.

EDIT: thanks, @anothernewbbaccount!

1 Like

You’re welcome. It’s worth it - an excellent programme. Try and watch full screen with best resolution - the drawings are detailed and deserve it.

2 Likes

I’m meh on Dune, but, “Yes Please” on Art Nouveau. I like it!

1 Like

The Dune Tarot was actually a plot point in Messiah/Children if I recall correctly

2 Likes

It’s been so long since I read them, I can’t recall, but I’m imagining the cards with a Dune theme; the Fool as young Paul, the Lovers would be Paul and Chani, the Magician might be Leto II …

1 Like

Wow, seriously chills looking at these.

Inner Dune nerd squeeing!

2 Likes

wow, that was indeed well worth the time. and i had no idea Gatiss was such a fan! he got some cheeky asides in, too, like in the section about Beardsley’s later erotic illustration based on the greek vases, with the women with the gigantic penises, when Gatiss says, “these were the first illustrations of Beardsley’s that i ever saw… i was attracted to them like a moth to a flame… [glancing at the camera]… i wonder why… [smirk]”

2 Likes

Oh yeah; Beardsley’s Lysistrata, and there were also his illustrations for the Rape of the Lock.