This guy collected 5 million travels miles

So you are saying the thing is to spend 30hrs in economy seats so you can spend 8hrs in first class…

5 Likes

Yeah right.

I know a guy with secret families in multiple states when I see one…

6 Likes

Right…except you have to spend an entire week flying over 30 flights in economy to avoid 18 hours flying in economy… :unamused:

3 Likes

Yea, you’d think so.
I’ve been flying a lot more than usual for work in the last year and I’m still shocked at the number of people who seem to have made it all the way well into adulthood and have never traveled.
Then there are the knuckleheads that stop in row 4 on Southwest and take forever to put their bag up above. Usually either one too small or one too big.

2 Likes

I’ve learned that anyone who does mileage runs isn’t the kind of person who I’d want to spend a flight next to.

3 Likes

Evidently, that’s what Ben Schlappig does. I’m only imagining possible justifications.

I have the time, and this sounds like a way I could get my mom in first-class for just once in her life.

Of course, 30(?) hours of flying to generate $12,200 in credit (about $406 per hour) sounds like a hell of a trade-off to me.
Bonus: Some short-flight destinations ain’t half bad, if you have time for a meal.

6 Likes

I’m picturing the Bursar’s office where he sends the 100-euro (sale!) buffet ticket and travel log recording the things in a cold sweat (oh, we’re all going to die because of holiday) and then running carbon-capture projects for self-maintenance. Maybe jogging at 8 for 20 minutes, wearing a rebreather to capture all the CO2.

6 Likes

30 one-hour increments spread around are entirely tolerable. A 33+ hour flight to Japan (where are you getting 8 from?) in economy is decidedly not.

3 Likes

Get this guy a bike!

1 Like

Or just apply to a few credit cards that offer ~30k mile bonuses.

2 Likes

Which helps us all waste more fossil fuels, yes!

1 Like

All those low limit credit cards… This goofs credit score must be like 370.

2 Likes

I can’t believe he wasted those points on a first class ticket when they have all those magazine subscriptions you can use the points for. He could have been getting Details AND FHM in his mailbox every month!

5 Likes

Shakes fist! I was slow on the uptake, I should have made the same comment last night.

2 Likes

Because with just a little more investigation (which I’m sure Mr. Schlappig is hard at work on), we can figure out how to communicate and perform research over long distances without having to be there in person.

/ that, and how, just how, can we use local talent instead of parachuting in reporters for any and all stories once they’re deemed important.

3 Likes

People like this guy are going to cook the rest of us to death.

1 Like

What a shithead. Has he even heard of climate change? Pathetic.

1 Like

Where are you getting 33 hours from? The last time I flew to Australia from the UK (in the eighties) it took only 24 hours with two stops, and that’s a longer distance than US to Japan.

1 Like

Excluding the opportunity cost.

OTOH, he gets a $13,000 ticket to Japan. If that’s his return on a week of flying, it’s more than I make in a month.

I’m also guessing he doesn’t do this every week - it’s more of a stunt thing that he’s figured out.

So he pays $800 and sits in coach for 30 hours (figure an hour a flight) so that he can avoid flying coach to Japan?

3 Likes