This guy watched one episode from every season of SNL and charted its rise and fall

Kind of off-topic, but is the callback much more used than it was in ye olde times? All SNL guest intros (well, all standup acts) use them. It’s like a union-mandated stylistic.

Every standup act seems to be: A) Joke about, say, a Prius, then B) one or more Different [Non-Prius] Jokes, then C) a Joke that he slowly, slowly opens the door for, yes, a reference to … a Prius. Applause and curtain.

And that alone is worthy of much laughter: “He brought up the thing at the end that he had introduced in the beginning! How did he do that?!!”

I kind of like the call backs, even if they were cut for time.

1 Like

Mr. Bill is a paradox.

On the one hand, Mr. Bill really isn’t funny.

On the other hand, if you don’t think Mr. Bill is funny, you truly have no sense of humor.

5 Likes

It was a pleasantly nostalgic video, but I often couldn’t tell if the kid was being hip and sarcastic or merely ignorant and stupid. I suspect that he usually thought he was being hip and sarcastic.

4 Likes

SNL has always had good and bad skits. It’s inevitable. I’ve been watching it since 1975 and still find a lot of it funny but there are also skits you know are going nowhere in the first minute and should skip. SNL was made for DVR.

Well that and now I skip every musical performance. Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It’s a scientific fact :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Peak SNL

6 Likes

That visual style seems iconic. Are they parodying an existing music video?

You have to give him credit though, all his impressions were dead on.

2 Likes

Not that I know of. I wish I knew an easy way to figure out who the writer was.

I posted it because it’s one of those absolutely quirky things they come up with…like Lazer Cats, or those goddamn funny game shows, or my favorite, the short film where the guy takes a bunch of dogs out for a walk one day and narrates it (this was an early one).

3 Likes

That’s hardly a valid test. You’d need to randomly select a paragraph from each novel. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure, at 15, 16, I thought Mr. Bill was funny. Today? Yeah, I’m just going to be unfunny I guess, because I don’t find humor derived from the abject pain of another being to be funny at all, even if it’s just a clay figure. I also don’t find humor in the “this person is so stupid” line of comedy.

Agreed

Turned off at 5:30 when he said Mr. Bill wasn’t funny. And to those in this thread who argue the show’s funniest when you’re in college… I disagree.

Mr. Bill is still ridiculous and makes me laugh. Monty Python’s Holy Grail still makes me laugh. Silly shit is still funny as an adult. The family that is always yelling that he critiqued is a classic bit, also funny. Ghost busters is still a funny movie to me. That is all to say things I thought were funny as a kid still make me laugh.

This guy has opinions and strong video editing skills, but I strongly disagree with his dismissal of great bits.

tl:dr; Things were just funnier 30 years ago, and I refuse to acknowledge any bias in that believe :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.