This happy seal sounds like a synthesizer

Originally published at: This happy seal sounds like a synthesizer | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Modern day warrior… mean mean stride…

12 Likes

tumblr_p1yr61uvNV1qmob6ro1_400

9 Likes

Almost all their vocalizations are totally techno:

I did a search, fully expecting that someone had done at least one techno song around their noises, and I’m shocked that I’m coming up empty. I’m fully expecting at least half-a-dozen people to be doing with Weddell seal noises what Meredith Bull does with cat vocalizations:

13 Likes
14 Likes

I guess they’ve found someone to replace Michael Winslow if they ever decide to do a Police Academy reboot.

5 Likes

Ah, the sound of a Phone Phreak Seal hacking the humans’ devices.

6 Likes

Exactly what i was recalled; …sounds quite like a spectrum slew to find a handshake. Do seals do echo-location like the cetaceans do? As that sure sounds like signal looking for a reflection. amazing.

8 Likes

Which KMFDM song is this?

4 Likes

They need a place for people to dance to their sweet EDM sounds. Call it Club Seal.

(I’ll see myself out)

8 Likes

And a polyphonic synth at that.

Like some humans.

5 Likes

Regular screams and howling for air (90% of their time underwater? But only so used to it) at higher pressures.

2 Likes

Don’t forget your coat.

5 Likes

That’s on the same album as It’s More Fun to be Cute, right?

2 Likes

Great minds, etc. Ms Derbyshire would love it.

Bonus:
Walruseseses are giant flutes, drums, bells, foghorns, and lions.

8 Likes

My first experience with throat singing came from an LP of Inuit women I’d bought in the 80s.

xian missionaries at the turn of the last century banned Inuit throat singing, insisting it was satanic. This ban was in place until the 1980s. :nauseated_face: :exploding_head: :astonished:

I got one of those marvellous little hardcover book w/CD thingies during the 90s from Ellipsis Arts. It was a compilation called Deep in the Heart of Tuva: Cowboy Music from the Wild East. That hipped me to Tuvan music and singing. Some Tuvans can sing 3 and even 4 notes. Most of the songs are in the traditional style, but a track which Huun Huur Tu performed with the Bulgarian Women’s Choir is included, as is Albert Kuvezin and Yat-Kha’s song Karangailyg Kara Hovva (Dyngyldai) [The Endless Black Steppe]:*

A rough, partial translation:
A black-brown runner horse runs like lightning through the endless black steppe
The black hair of a beautiful girl is moving in the wind

In the sunset light of the steppe, the black-brown running horse can run like lightning
The black hair of a beautiful girl, moving in the wind…

Women’s throat singing was discouraged by superstitious Tuvan men, convinced their singing would somehow harm the men, or make the women infertile. Only fairly recently have they been welcomed at performances.

Here’s a yt playlist of female throat singers, including Ms Hefele.

*It is misidentified on the compilation as Yenisei Punk, which is the title of Yat Kha’s album whence it came. This mis-ID has been repeated elsewhere online.

5 Likes

Do you have any idea how they do four?? I have done overtones of undertones, but never heard of four before.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I haven’t a clue. Maybe listening to practitioners can give you ideas if you’re already experienced.

1 Like

Weddell Seal even sounds like the name of a Space Rock Band.

4 Likes

This guy does the bass parts.

10 Likes