This Hasn't Been Posted Yet? Bizarre O-State Attack Happened 11/28/16

I just thought it was rather odd how there was no mention of this story on BB yet.

5 Likes

Mark my words, dude will serve less than a year or a year, if that, for kidnapping and attempting to murder his exā€¦

7 Likes

At least this guy will get longer:

7 Likes

I hope so, but Iā€™m not ruling anything out after this past year.

6 Likes

hereā€™s to ā€œwonderingā€ whether the 18 year old will be called a ā€œteenagerā€ or a ā€œmanā€ ā€“ iā€™m sure the reporters will be entirely objective, and wonā€™t be influenced by their perceptions of race at all.

5 Likes

Oh, I have no doubt.

2 Likes

At 18, heā€™s legally an adult, to be fair. Of course, that doesnā€™t mean he has a fully developed brain at 18. But heā€™s certainly old enough to be held responsible for shooting 9 people solely for the color of their skin.

But of course, the story @Melizmatic linked to was about a 29 year old man who shot his ex girlfriend after kidnapping her.

5 Likes

Heā€™s both of course, but youā€™re right that the race of the suspect is likely to determine which term is used.

3 Likes

Just as a counter point; It seems awfully funny that the authorities often have no problem taking certain suspects alive and ā€œwithout incidentā€ when the alleged perps have a certain skin tone.

7 Likes

The way things are going, heā€™ll probably get 4 years - as Secretary of State.

6 Likes

for sure. it just reminded me of how the terms people use when referring to perpetrators change how people see things.

way back: the eldest columbine shooter was always called a teenager, despite the fact they were 18. in that case, i suspect it was because it took place at a high school ā€“ and so the term ā€œmanā€ would have made it seem more like an outsider was responsible.

i dont know if there are any statistics, but iā€™d bet that skin color tilts term selected.

4 Likes

As terrible as these tragedies are, is it wrong of me to secretly hope that itā€™s a white dude thatā€™s the culprit?

3 Likes

No offense to anyone intended, but I almost always hope that when something horrible like this happens.

White people get to be individuals who donā€™t carry the burden of representing their entire ā€œraceā€ when they do something atrocious.

But if a person of color does something horrific and inhumane, it reflects badly on all people of that color, at least in some peopleā€™s minds.

11 Likes

I think that actually pretty well encapsulates why I feel this way.

I mean yeah, itā€™d be great if we didnā€™t have to contend with tragedies like this but thatā€™s just not reality today.

Maybe itā€™s just some sort of weird kind of ā€œwhite dude survivorā€™s guiltā€ in these cases, but I always feel a profound disappointment when it turns out to be a non-Christian and/or POC behind these kind of crimes because I just know what the narrative is going to be and itā€™s not going to be good for anybody (except for the media and those who can use this as a platform to further a hateful agenda).

4 Likes

Itā€™s a Somali

Yep.

Wherever thereā€™s inhumanity or systemic injustice, there will always be someone there who is only too willing to capitalize on it.

3 Likes

Sure. We know that in criminal prosecutions. Teens who are black tend to be tried as a adults more often, for example.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 81 days. New replies are no longer allowed.