This hidden warning inside Teenage Engineering's hugely popular product has no teeth

Originally published at: This hidden warning inside Teenage Engineering's hugely popular product has no teeth - Boing Boing

11 Likes

In the EU, it is important to differentiate between the statutory guarantee which results from the sales contract and is between the customer and whoever sold them the product (not necessarily the manufacturer) and any additional manufacturer’s warranty which applies on top of the statutory guarantee.

If something that you buy turns out to be faulty or doesn’t look or work as claimed by the seller, the seller is responsible for fixing this within the statutory (typically 2-year) period (the details are a little more complicated). The manufacturer, if different from the seller, has nothing to do with this – except that very often the manufacturer will repair or replace the product on behalf of the seller, but that is between the seller and the manufacturer. Many products come with additional manufacturer warranties that have longer terms and/or cover issues that the statutory warranty doesn’t address, but these are offered entirely at the manufacturer’s discretion.

The synth company is probably within its rights to refuse repairs under its manufacturer’s warranty (if any) to customers who have opened the case without authorisation. But this does not apply to the statutory guarantee which the seller of the device must extend to the customer. IOW, if you buy one of those synths new from your friendly music store here in Germany¹, then if that synth breaks down during the first two years after you bought it, chances are that the music store will need to sort this out (by repairing the device, replacing it, or refunding what you paid) at no charge to you. (Assuming that it didn’t break down because you opened the case and fooled around inside it with a soldering iron.) After those two years, it depends on whether the manufacturer provides a voluntary warranty and if so, whether its terms entitle you to a free repair.

1. By way of example; Germany has a two-year statutory guarantee (the EU minimum).
9 Likes

Author is Lux Sparks-Pescovitz

4 Likes

Thats just sad. Synthesizers used to come with cool easter eggs to reward someone opening them up.

12 Likes

The OP-1 has some cool easter eggs on it’s main PCB:

13 Likes

That’s fun. I once designed a simple test fixture at work and laid out the board to look like the Chicago loop. I had two tall electrolytic capacitors picked out for Marina City.

14 Likes

They’re also free to enforce illegal policies right up until they’re sued and lose. Just last week I had Amazon ship me the wrong product, then tell me it wasn’t eligible for a replacement, and then the customer service agent said they’d make an “exception” and refund me. I get he has to follow the script, but the script declared the policy was to illegally charge me for an item I was never sent (or similarly, for a product I didn’t order). Minor inconvenience for me, no big deal on its own, but illustrative.

4 Likes

Ah, they’ll never notice this.

4 Likes

Too long; cannot read.

TL;CR

2 Likes

(sigh)

I had an old Korg Poly-Six where the internal battery leaked, and looking at the circuit board I decided I wasn’t a good enough technician to pull off the repair without causing more damage. Had to sell it “as is.”

(slightly off topic.)

1 Like

This is why I love working on old machines. Here’s an exploded view of every part of the machine, all numbered, frequently with a symbol and specifications for the parts that are common, off-the shelf fittings that you can buy anywhere. And recently I came across this, which is basically 1950’s manual speak for “if you didn’t buy the motor from us, you might have to do some goofy shit, don’t worry about it.”
firefox_yJOUa6xp3D

edit: oops, replied to someone unrelated by mistake

3 Likes

But I’m here for your pain. I’ve actually never even seen one of them in the wild here.

1 Like

It’s a joke. Teenage Engineering knows their customers, and they know many of them will open it up.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.