This high-tech suicide pod offers a quick, painless death and a built-in casket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/05/this-high-tech-suicide-pod-off.html

7 Likes

Exit International

Truth in advertising.

11 Likes

Um, @Rusty_Blazenhoff, Dr Nitschke’s Australian.

On that note: Straya!

5 Likes
2 Likes

“You have selected SLOW AND PAINFUL.”

“Wait, NOOOO”

63 Likes

Death Pod comes from the sky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PirhKjDL0M

2 Likes

Wonder what went wrong.

The intro by @Rusty_Blazenhoff :

The 4 lines below that, in the excerpt, on the very same page:

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, it sure looks like the Doctor’s own website got the procedure wrong. There is no way the device uses or has any need for liquid nitrogen. You would need an awful lot of that to supposedly fill up the cabinet, stored in its own refrigerated cabinet.

And it would be one godawful uncomfortable way to go - coming into contact or just near contact with a bubbling liquid at -321F. Yikes!

Surely, the device has a simple nitrogen gas canister, which are cheap, safe, and available in most cities. Nitrogen gas seems the best way to trolley oneself off to the great Beyond. You simply fall asleep in seconds with no sensation of being starved of oxygen whatsoever, and then you die in a matter of very few minutes.

31 Likes

ENB1fIlVnMRcQ

43 Likes

what’s the point of a futuristic coffin if it doesn’t also shoot you out in to space?

38 Likes

After settling in the pod, the user will push a button and the chamber will start to “fill up with liquid nitrogen to bring the oxygen level down to about 5 percent.”

That sounds extremely painful. I think maybe he meant to say nitrogen gas?

27 Likes

Can we get one shipped to the White House by Christmas? The big macs and chicken buckets are taking too long.

25 Likes

It was, I remember, the 13th day of April, 1920, that the first Government Lethal Chamber was established on the south side of Washington Square, between Wooster Street and South Fifth Avenue. The block which had formerly consisted of a lot of shabby old buildings, used as cafés and restaurants for foreigners, had been acquired by the Government in the winter of 1898. The French and Italian cafés and restaurants were torn down; the whole block was enclosed by a gilded iron railing, and converted into a lovely garden with lawns, flowers and fountains. In the centre of the garden stood a small, white building, severely classical in architecture, and surrounded by thickets of flowers. Six Ionic columns supported the roof, and the single door was of bronze. A splendid marble group of the “Fates” stood before the door, the work of a young American sculptor, Boris Yvain, who had died in Paris when only twenty-three years old.

“The Repairer of Reputations” from The King in Yellow by Robert William Chambers

20 Likes

Reminds me of the story Mechanical Funeral by Ray Bradbury, where a scientist tricks his leech brother into a mechanical pod, which kills him & buries him.
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=2362

5 Likes

Okay, good, could not get a damned image to work.

2 Likes

Sarco as in a shortened version of sarcophagus?

6 Likes

That is a nice looking coffin, but I was really hoping to be buried sitting in the driver’s seat of a 1957 Ford Fairlane.

10 Likes

That’s definitely not the way I want to go.

12 Likes

Bless you Oderous

2 Likes

That AlterNet article is full of typos:

Obviously they meant to write “human witch”

23 Likes