This high-tech suicide pod offers a quick, painless death and a built-in casket

This thing doesn’t exist, right? Like every other “person invents amazing futuristic gizmo that looks cool in photoshops!”

Jesus I hope the liquid nitrogen part is a mistake in the article.

5 Likes

This looks expensive. A CPAP mask from Amazon and a trip to the welding supply store and I am good to go.

9 Likes

- Imgur

23 Likes

I like this a bunch but I want my pod, after my comfortable N2 asphixiation, to launch me into orbit around the Moon or Mars

5 Likes

Yeah, I just heard about the fat man’s diet this morning. Love it!

Dammit you beat me to it!

1 Like

The ultimate sensory deprivation tank.

Just don’t mistake it for a tanning bed.

4 Likes

Einmal ist keinmal!

4 Likes

Way too much work. Especially if you’re sick. And - who has the space to store it ahead of time?

I’ll just buy a shotgun. It’s not like I’ll be cleaning it up.

2 Likes

Overheard in 2018: “Oh, nothing much. Just 3D-printing my self-assembly suicide casket. You?”

15 Likes

A Get-to-God Pod.

14 Likes

Does it come with a mansion of glory, or is that extra?

2 Likes

Straight-to-hell-shell.

23 Likes

Sigh

When will you guys realize, being dead forever is its own reward?

10 Likes

Your Purgatory Lorry.

14 Likes

Bardo Cargo.

9 Likes

Her-Hades-Benz

(For the ladies.)

11 Likes

Yes, but would he pass the questionnaire?

6 Likes

Jared can fill it out for him.

6 Likes

I can only assume that somewhere in the write-up someone confused “fill with liquid nitrogen” and “add liquid nitrogen to evaporator”.

If memory serves, LN2 has an expansion ratio of roughly 1:700 when it evaporates. By rough eyeballing, a coffin-pod is probably about one cubic meter(just squished a bit, humans being more rectangular than cubic). That would be a lot of liquid nitrogen; but just boiling off enough to drive down the internal oxygen concentration would be quite practical: you will lose some nitrogen as well if you go with the basic “loose deals, modest internal overpressure” approach; but 2 liters of liquid nitrogen would give you 1.4 cubic meters of gaseous nitrogen; likely plenty to displace most of the oxygen in the pod.

Given that surviving some minutes of serious oxygen deprivation is often a lousy plan, you would probably want to err on the side of caution and ensure that the nitrogen supply comfortably outlasts you; but even a pretty conservative margin would put you under 10 liters; likely a fair bit less.

3 Likes