This holiday season, Wisconsinites are reminded to cook their meat

So, I am from Germany. And I love Mett, or Hackepeter (literally: minced Peter) as it is called where i live. I eat it at least once or so per month. In Germany literally hundreds of thousands of rolls with Mett are eaten every day. There are people, not a few weirdos, normal people who might eat a Mettbrötchen every morning as their breakfast.
I just found a statistic that said only 35% of all Germans never ate Mett and 41% said they love it (count me in).

When in Germany literally millions of people eat raw pork every day and I don’t know anyone who ever got a poisoning or anything from that I wonder if it is really necessary to generally advice against eating raw pork. It is obviously a question of how you prepare it. And- as always in Germany- there are strict rules of how to treat raw pork to be allowed to sell it as Mett.

Another name for Mett that I love is Bauarbeiter-Sushi (construction worker sushi)

9 Likes

I eat raw Bratwurst all the time. But I would only do that if I know and trust my butcher.

2 Likes

Well, that does it. For lunch today I’m going to go get a Mettsemmel from the Vinzenzmurr near my flat. Being stuck in home office and all.

5 Likes

When you are finished tell me: How did you like it?

3 Likes

It’s good, and for me it’s a known quantity. I just didn’t feel like having a Leberkässemmel today, and went for “German sausage sushi” as I call it. Vinzenzmurr is a chain of butcher shops (delis?) here in Munich.

4 Likes

Butcher shop.

2 Likes

Vegan perspective: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I did not know there was a mustard museum. At some point when travel is advisable I’ll have to go there.

Mmmmm… Mett!

2 Likes

Mett gains experience! Mett evolves into Mettigel!

7 Likes

There ain’t no party like the Donner Party because the Donner Party don’t … uh …

4 Likes

https://mustardmuseum.com/the-mustard-museum/

A mustard museum? ABSOLUTELY! According to Barry Levenson, founder & curator of the National Mustard Museum, you can blame it all on the Boston Red Sox. In the wee hours of October 28, 1986, after his favorite baseball team had just lost the World Series, Barry was wandering an all-night supermarket looking for the meaning of life. As he passed the mustards, he heard a voice: If you collect us, they will come.
He did and they have. In 1992, Barry left his job as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Wisconsin to open this most improbable museum, now one of Wisconsin’s most popular attractions.
Middleton neighbors Madison to the west, is only a 45-minute drive from Wisconsin Dells, just 2-1/2 hours from Chicago, and a mere 6,978 kilometers from Dijon, France.

4 Likes

That makes senf.

4 Likes

Ah, yes, the 1986 World Series changed many a life.

Da muss du dein Senf dazu geben, gell?

3 Likes

My first time in Tokyo I ordered it on the “try everything once except incest and folk dancing” principle. I loved it - like carpaccio but ironically tasting more like beef than beef.

On every subsequent trip with one of my sons I’ve had to fight them for horse sashimi. But then I’ve also had to fight them for grilled sweetbreads at our local Argentinian-style BBQ, so they’re not shy about testing new foods.

2 Likes

There was a horse butcher in the town I lived in on the Adriatic Coast, never really had the inclination to eat it though.

Here in the UK, if you want a burger cooked anything besides well done, they have to grind the beef onsite, and the same day, if not within 4 hours or something similar.

1 Like

Give horse meat a try if you get the opportunity, it’s good.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.