This huge sinkhole in Mexico is growing, threatening to swallow the house right next to it

Originally published at: This huge sinkhole in Mexico is growing, threatening to swallow the house right next to it | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s a portal to another universe.

5 Likes

Fortunately sandworms have bad aim so it missed the house when it came to the surface for a snack.

8 Likes

“Holey” toledo batman.

2 Likes

Sinkhole looks full of water. Here’s a great demo of how underwater rivers cause sinkholes, from the always awesome Practical Engineering channel:

19 Likes

Might as well put in a pool. You’re halfway there already.

3 Likes

This is a far less dramatic geologic phenomenon, but it’s still very wtf?

6 Likes

maybe Thor’s hammer returned to earth and landed on a soft spot

1 Like

As much as it sucks that these people could lose their house, they were lucky in that the sinkhole didn’t start directly below them.

I hope everything turns out for the best for them. Would home owners insurance cover sinkhole damage?

1 Like

The drone footage should have been set to Lux Aeterna.

On a scale of uno to diez, I’d rate it a cinco.

2 Likes

That first image fooled me into thinking that was sky, not water inside the hole. It’s a pretty good “moon door” illusion.

Is it really a sinkhole, or was it a gender reveal party followed by a heavy rain?

4 Likes

A universe that’s full of corvettes.

2 Likes

That’s scary stuff. Scariest sinkhole news item I’ve heard about though was the guy who was swallowed when a sinkhole opened up in his bedroom floor.

1 Like

Very disappointed. I came for a sinkhole that was a hole, not a pool of water.

You would have to look beyond earth to find a hole that isn’t just a pool of gas.

1 Like

[quote=“MBrody, post:15, topic:199062, full:true”]
That’s scary stuff. Scariest sinkhole news item I’ve heard about though was the guy who was swallowed when a sinkhole opened up in his bedroom floor.

I came here to post this myself. Damn things terrify me. I believe the body was never found.

sinkhole

2 Likes

Apparently the video isn’t even showing the hole’s current size, it’s now much closer to the house.

4 Likes