Sinkhole empties pool in seconds at swim party, killing one and injuring another

Originally published at: Sinkhole empties pool in seconds at swim party, killing one and injuring another | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Maybe the earth is just tired of all our bullshit, and is actively fighting back…

That said, I feel for the people who were killed and injured.

25 Likes

Yeah, i feel sorry too, but OTOH wow, what a great metaphor. Complete with pool toys!

12 Likes

That’s awful. It appears to be a flexible liner, which means this is basically a dirt pit with a thick trash bag relying on hydrostatic pressure to keep its shape. I imagine the tiniest pinhole could have caused this and wouldn’t have given way until it created a substantial void under the compacted soil. Basically an hourglass of death.

10 Likes

Not to clutch at my pearls, but the whole ‘fatal accident’ vibe rather harshes a mildly interesting video of a swimming pool draining.

4 Likes

If you ever loose your floaty flamingos in a pool sink hole, let 'em go, because man, they’re gone.

8 Likes

It isn’t clear whether they realized that someone had gone missing down the hole from the beginning or not.

If the people who are lingering around the hole were trying to locate or save the missing person, that is very different than if the people who are lingering around the hole are just gawking. There is a difference between demonstrating humanity versus having no common sense or survival instinct.

7 Likes

I have long hoped that this would happen in a state that is well known for
such events. Specifically, at the Mar a lago golf course, while a certain orange man in a red hat was putting-

Act of nature/God?

PLEASE!!!

2 Likes

If you click through to the article, it’s clear there was concrete and rebar underneath the liner. I suspect the liner was to make things look pretty?

Probably not enough concrete for a pool. Looks very thin

9 Likes

Yeah - water is HEAVY! Too many people underestimate it.

6 Likes

This live-action remake of Toy Story 3 is just not doing it for me.

1 Like

Just speculation, but the lining might have been applied because the pool was leaking. Leaking water of course can wash away the soil. Once there is a void, this probably becomes nigh inevitable.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.