Accidental massive wave in amusement park 'tsunami pool' injures dozens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/accidental-massive-waves-in-am.html

2 Likes

yup.

29 Likes

You’d think it would be designed that if the power failed there would be less wave? Sort of like a deadman switch. Guess I don’t understand the design.

13 Likes

Maybe the power failure (and more likely the surge when it came back on) damaged the equipment (e.g. fried the circuit, causing an issue). Maybe?

4 Likes

That looks like more fun than the last few wave pools I’ve personally been in.

6 Likes

Disneyland can opened up a place in China, I guess Traction Park did the same.

13 Likes

their “tsunami pool” generated unexpectedly massive waves

Unexpected? It’s in the name, people.

25 Likes

I dunno, I had a Tornado Tube as a kid, and it never blew my house down.

19 Likes

Surf’s up, dude!

1 Like

See, Tramp was right – global warming IS a Chinese plot. Does anyone remember the proposal for a billion Chinese to jump off ladders simultaneously, shocking the Pacific Ring of Fire to drive deadly earthquakes in Japan and California? When Faux Nuuz picks that up, Tramp will be all over it.

Oh, the pool. Lax safety standards, I assume.

2 Likes
3 Likes

A layman’s guess:

The electrical issue damaged the water flow sensor that counts how many gallons/liters are put into the wave chamber. If the sensor is damaged, it may not actually count all of the gallons/liters resulting in over-filling the chamber, and that causes the larger wave.

Source: My garden watering system has had this problem, flooding my plants.

12 Likes

My kids will watch this video with a different perspective. Mostly thinking ‘I want our wave pool to crank out awesome waves too!’

6 Likes

I get that this isn’t really funny, but at the same time it is, empirically, hilarious.

8 Likes

Yes! Surf music accompaniment would be perfect. I was thinking Surfaris “Wipeout” would be a better titular fit, but the frenetic picking of Dick Dale would fit even better, such as “Nitro”.

4 Likes

I bet the amount of urine in that pool went up 1000%

22 Likes

Good waivers and warnings, and some first aid people standing by, and you could line them up at double the price.

4 Likes

You are one of the lucky ones.

1 Like

I suppose that if your experience with waves is “wave pool”, and providing for crowding, it makes sense that people were injured. Maybe people were in the floats and couldn’t get off in time and got bounced into things? Given the name, I expected a large wave.

Last weekend GirlChild (who will be entering 3rd grade this fall) faced similarly sized waves at the beach, and it’s just a question of “over or under” when dealing with a wave you don’t want to catch.

4 Likes

Meh, no offshore breeze, didn’t stand up, maybe a 3 foot face, hardly worth going in.

2 Likes