This hyper-cool, minimalist floor lamp is guaranteed to spark a conversation

Originally published at: This hyper-cool, minimalist floor lamp is guaranteed to spark a conversation | Boing Boing

Alex, I’ll take What is a Light Strip? for $1.

5 Likes

i don’t consider that so much a lamp as i do mood lighting.

4 Likes

As long as it sparks a conversation and not a fire.

8 Likes

What, no “joy?”

6 Likes

But shouldn’t we scroll through dozens of nearly identical floor lamps, and then for some reason a carbon arc light and tactical pocket flashlight?

5 Likes

I feel really bad for whoever submitted the article just before the “Please look at the following 70 master class courses” because you KNOW no one is ever scrolling that far.

1 Like

Finally, a floor lamp that leaves my room dark. It’s what I’ve been looking for all along and just never knew it. /s

5 Likes

Totally what I thought upon reading the title! We have an old floor lamp we’ve rewired but it’s still glitchy. I don’t know why we keep it plugged in…maybe secretly yearning for the insurance $? /s

4 Likes

Ten bucks less than a hundred?
Fuck that.
Yall must have had a nifty pandemic.
Suck my LED.

1 Like

I had my eye on one for some time…
but ended up plumbing for off the shelf fluorescent tube battern type

1 Like

Do people really talk to each other about their furnishing? I guess it is a hobby as valid as any other.

2 Likes

“Come see my etchings” got an upgrade.

8 Likes

I actually quite like the idea, it’s like an uplighter, but sideways. Of course, it would work better with light coloured walls.
And given how cheap and easy to use LED strips are, you could easily make your own, and make it as bright as you like.

For once the DIY or Buy calculation is easy.

Anyone could build this for less then $100.

Sure, especially with questions like “Why did you only light the corner of this dark room?”

2 Likes

I suppose that it might work as a Hounds of Tindalos repellant?

2 Likes

One of these with some PVC pipe (paintable) and an LED strip with remote control: maybe $20?
You’d need to slice off half of the upright piece, perhaps with a bandsaw or table saw.

Some furnishings kind of demand it.

2 Likes

Really, really boring people. Dimly lit boring people, evidently

1 Like