This ice cream is meant to taste like a dive bar

Originally published at: This ice cream is meant to taste like a dive bar | Boing Boing

I remember going to punk rock shows as a teen and liking the way my clothes smelled the next day. It was a mix of clove cigarettes, cheap beer, sweat and smoke on an old cotton t-shirt but somehow the combined ingredients smelled great.

6 Likes

Sounds like a flavor inspired by a typo.

7 Likes

I’ve had many delicious ice creams with alcohol in them, but every time I’ve tried a beer-flavored ice cream, it’s been godawful. Even when hand made by talented folks using good beer (ref: Amy’s Ice Cream’s Shiner Bock ice cream). It always tastes flat (for obvious reasons) and skunked (for less obvious, but perhaps unavoidable reasons).

I suppose “skunked beer” could maybe fit the dive bar theme, though, for an especially dive-y bar.

5 Likes

i love dive bars, and i love ice cream – but ice cream that somehow evokes the flavor of a dive bar? not seeing the appeal.

5 Likes

People who like this sort of thing will find that this is the sort of thing they like. You can have mine.

2 Likes

Yeah, even the elements that aren’t gross (e.g. peanuts) get described in a way that makes them seem gross (“it’s like the sweepings off a bar’s floor!”) They might as well add in the flavor of the urine tracked in from the men’s restroom and the taste of poorly washed glasses… Mmmmm!

3 Likes

canadian what GIF by CBC

6 Likes

yeah, actually, the smell of over-used urinals (or urinal cakes) was my first thought along with smoke, not peanuts.

3 Likes

It’s $36 a 6 pack because they had to license the wrappers to look like the back of a closed box store. Look for it where you buy Askimo Pie, Assorted Ice Cram Sandwiches, and Creamdicles.

3 Likes

How many people are going to take one bite and spit it out, thinking they were biting into a “Dove Bar”, not a “dive bar”.

1 Like

I hung out in many dive bars in Detroit, I think Detroit might be the capitol for dive bars, and by dive bars I mean corner bars. There is a one mile stretch of road that we used to start at one end and have a drink at every bar in that mile, it was virtually impossible not to get completely hammered.

I worked in a couple dive bars as a bartender and was usually they guy that dumped the ice in the urinals.

That’s the smell I really don’t want my ice cream to taste like.

“combines beer, peanut swirl, tobacco smoke flavor, caramel and a dark chocolate dip,”

That smell is a smell I actually enjoy as it brings back memories of my youth. I haven’t been in a dive bar in a few years because covid but now I want to go have a burger.

I would try that ice cream bar if it wasn’t for the 5% alcohol.

I’m holding out for Abandoned Gas Station Bathroom-flavored sherbert.

3 Likes

…and regret.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.