'This is fine': Ominous orange skies over California's Bay Area match Pantone 120U

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/this-is-fine-ominous-oran.html

8 Likes

If Trump ever wanted to visit the San Francisco Bay Area without being heckled this is his chance. He’d basically be invisible.

38 Likes

Here in Western WA, it’s ground level smog. Yellow, but not turning the sky orange. Strong smell of turpentine from all the burnt Pine, doug fir, and cedar trees. In fact the turpentine is bad enough that I had to take today off from work due to it hurting my throat too much.

12 Likes
7 Likes

My condolences. I was breathing the same and worse in Australia half a year back.
It’s difficult to put into words how suffocating it all is.

19 Likes

Dear god. I don’t even know what to say seeing this. I hope you and yours are as safe as can be and you have the resources to get through. :heart:

15 Likes

It only matches 120u when the Pantone sample is viewed under the specific interior light that you’re using. In any case, it’s still pretty far from Pantone PMS 14-4318 TCX Sky Blue.

2 Likes

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

Orange sky at any time, fuck it I’m getting drunk and hoping I sober up and find things normal again.

17 Likes

Is that image comparing the real world to a pantone chip? Or is comparing a picture as displayed on a potentially miscalibrated monitor to a pantone chip?

In fairness, if you use pantone chips, your monitor probably is calibrated.

1 Like

I went from gasping in shock to just plain gasping, trying to laugh but the switch was too sudden.

Thanks. :sob:

I’m also in a hellfire state, too. I have asthma but haven’t had to use an inhaler until earlier this year. Sporadic use. Then the fires started and now it’s every day.

3 Likes

If we really want to be pedantic, the photo clearly shows the sky matching 130 U

120 is a typo

3 Likes
4 Likes

Unless there’s something wonky with the camera algorithm or display firmware/drivers, any display color calibration that would shift the pantone chip should shift the sky the same unless the pantone chip was superimposed after the fact (which it doesn’t look like it was).

2 Likes

orange

6 Likes

We had fairly clear skies in Hillsboro, OR yesterday.

Then . . . the Fire Nation attacked.

Smoke rolling in from the multiple Clackamas County wildfires:

Right now the smoke is a solid pale yellow-gray.

We might get rain on Monday.

11 Likes

For similar reasons, it resembles the orange of Munch The Scream (1893), which may have been produced in response to the volcanic eruption of Krakatoa ten years earlier.

3 Likes

Umm, there’s a problem with your meter in line 3.

3 Likes
1 Like

…any display color calibration that would shift the pantone chip should shift the sky the same…

I understand your logic, but is that really true? If the colour we’re talking about is a single frequency (like one of the sodium bands), then yes, but most real colours are more complicated than that - they’re a mixture of many frequencies. The orange of the Pantone chip and the orange of the sky could contain very different components. The camera attempts to reproduce the sensitivity profile of ‘standard’ human vision. But that’s pretty hard to do.

Just thinking out loud here…I’m interested in opinions.

3 Likes

The area SE of Portland, OR is in serious shit:

And of course right wing assholes want to make it worse:

Yeah, they’re hunting for the antifa who started the fires. Dumbfucks.

6 Likes