Oregon: wildfires turn daytime sky into a hellish shade of red

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/oregon-wildfires-turn-daytime.html

9 Likes

It also reminds me of that old saying:

Red sky at night, whoa-ho
Oh, oh, oh, Oh oh oh oh oh

11 Likes

Huh, where I am in the SF Bay Area, everything has been extremely orange for the last couple of days. At ground level, the smoke’s not been that bad (especially compared to a few weeks ago), but there’s been enough in the atmosphere to block out sunlight and drop the temperature.

20 Likes

I think y’all have covered the Enchanted Forest in Oregon, but they posted some fun pictures to their Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CE4sIMlBbt1/

4 Likes

Yellow yesterday, orange today.

“Fun” times.

17 Likes

I’m somewhere in the middle here.

9 Likes

Oh, heck yeah, thank you for these! I went there as a kid in the 80s when we traveled 4hrs north to Portland. Was a rare treat

Heh, back then we rarely drove the 5 minutes into the nearby town of 5k, let alone the “arduous” 25 minutes to the nearby city Roseburg of 20k… driving the 2½ hrs to Eugune happened maybe twice a year. Always struck me as funny just how quickly I adapted to the regular commute in Phoenix/LA/Seattle (though… I have always tried to live closer to work to try to minimize it).

3 Likes

According to the news this AM we’re getting the smoke here from Oregon and the fire up in Plumas County or wherever. I checked the AQ for my neighborhood in the north end of Marin County on Purple Air and we’re at a ~56 so I guess I won’t die if I go outside. I woke up this morning and figured it was about 5 am and was going to go back to sleep but checked the clock and it was 7:13.

8 Likes

For certain, nonstandard values of “fun…”

Some areas got the red skies. Here, we had the Purple Wall of Doom:

19 Likes

Here was the sun yesterday around noon in Eugene OR

There is lots of Ash in the air and on the ground also

16 Likes

Where am I going, and why am I in this hand basket?

29 Likes

I fear it’s going to be a particularly bad year for fires in California, too. September has just started and we’re already seeing more of them than usual.

14 Likes

Monday here felt just apocalyptic where I live near Portland - weird orange sky turned the day dark, winds gusting up to 49mph blowing smoke and ash. Totally freaky.

12 Likes

This is the view out my window in San Francisco at 9:30 this morning. Manually color corrected to match what I see with my eyes because my phone’s auto white balance tried to make it look normal.

It’s now 11:30 and it’s gotten even darker. Looks like dawn.

16 Likes

It looks like nighttime in my neighborhood. The street lamps here are all on. This is some Blade Runner shit.

21 Likes

Blade Runner 2049 specifically:

24 Likes

Almost identical look on the streets in the SF Bay Area right now. Our look is apparently due to fires about 100 miles away in Mendocino county.

8 Likes

I was looking at an air quality map yesterday, and with each update a solid wall of the most hazardous air was coming in from the East. Luckily it never ended up getting too close, because I just can’t imagine how bad it would have been. The area where I live seems to be in a bubble where the air is better than even surrounding areas of the city, but when the fires first started, there was a thick haze at ground level that was visible beyond a few dozen feet - and the air quality wasn’t that bad, relative to what I’m seeing in other areas now.

7 Likes

Yes, I suppose it’s too much to hope for one of the scenes where we get some rain.

12 Likes

All those moments were lost, I hear.

17 Likes