This Is Fine

Two data points:

The Philippines alone is thought to account for about one-third of aquatic plastics pollution.

If Ottawa wants to help clean up the oceans it can halt Canadian exports of plastic wastes and provide development aid to countries to upgrade their waste management systems.

It seems that substituting for plastic is going to double the total waste produced.

The article cites a report available on line.

9 Likes

As part of Fackrell’s plea agreement, prosecutors agreed to drop charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, which carries a potential maximum sentence of 20 years. The court also decided to waive a fine because Fackrell does not have the ability to pay.

15 Likes

Well, i mean, it’s really her fault, right? How dare she think she can just do what she wants when a man expects her attention? It’s not like she is fully independent human or something!

9 Likes

Once again, it seems like we need a list of prosecutors and judges who are very lenient in charging/sentencing men - especially in cases involving violence against women and children. That way, we could spend time sending them a message:

Embarrassed Shame GIF

You Need To Leave Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

11 Likes
8 Likes

Anybody with the money to invest in it knows too much to bother. Might as well be a GoFundMe.

7 Likes

Surely Trump will have to sell his stake due to the emoluments clause. Surely?

9 Likes
13 Likes

… that’s the “dump” in the “pump and dump” :money_with_wings:

7 Likes

Awful.

The article doesn’t answer a question I’ve had for awhile now: Should I stop bothering to put plastic in my recycling bin, and instead put it directly in the trash bin?

8 Likes

IKR? I have to drive 45 mins to a recycling drop off once a week. Am I causing more harm than staying home and throwing it all in the trash?

7 Likes

Another of life’s balancing acts these days, I guess. :cry:

coca cola coke GIF

6 Likes

Where I live, that’s not a good idea. Waste disposal companies make annual contracts with municipalities. They have different rates and targets for recyclables and other trash.

One year, a town was surcharged because they didn’t meet recycling targets and too much (by weight) was categorized as trash. Notices were sent out warning residents not to mix the two. In cities, trash in a recycling bin (and vice versa) can lead to fines. YMMV, but my plan is to reach out to elected officials in my area about this first. There are only a few waste hauling companies used by most towns, so their input on the issue needs to be considered, too.

9 Likes

My municipality used to have seperate pickups for cardboard, glass & metals, and plastics. 10 years ago they switched to a single pickup for all recyclables. I fear that all they’re really doing is sending all the recyclables to trash, but they will fine you for knowingly putting trash in the recyclables.

7 Likes

That would lead me to find out who’s getting the proceeds from the fines. For some reason, local officials get concerned* when I ask pointed questions at community meetings. :wink:

:thinking: *Could it be my habit of sharing the results with neighbors, other pols, and the press?

11 Likes

16 Likes

… I figure if the recycling center can’t recycle something, they can certainly send it to the landfill just as easily as we can

and it’s literally their job to know what’s what and sort it out, not ours

3 Likes

Where I am, they’re very clear about which types of plastics they take. And they’re very clear that all the “plastic film,” like plastic bags, are not recyclable and, in fact, really gum up the works at the sorting facility.
I’ve had to train myself out of the habit of “wish-cycling,” aka, including everything in the bin that I wish were recyclable, but isn’t.

15 Likes

Two new (well, new to me, anyway) catch-phrases: “profitization” and “the tapeworm economy” to describe the takeover by private equity interests of what should be public services.

A tapeworm economy emerges when governments finance profit-seeking corporations in systems of publicly funded care as they create chains, often backed by private equity. It is just like introducing a parasite that slowly robs the body of nutrients and destroys its organs.

Maybe that’s what we need: economic de-worming, monetary anthelmintic therapy en-masse.

14 Likes

Nicely put my dude, but it’s just too long for a band name.

11 Likes