This Is Fine

House Intel Chairman announces ‘serious national security threat,’ sources say it is related to Russia

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/politics/house-intel-chairman-serious-national-security-threat/index.html

3 Likes

Yes, yes, we all know about T****, Captain Obvious.

5 Likes

That was my thought as well!

Probably has more to do with the use of hypersonic missiles IMO. Although not sure what notifying the public would do about that other than panic.

Once congress knows we’ll know soon enough.

eta

3 Likes

They let Tucker return from Russia?

2 Likes

Lots of speculation, even more Tweets.

1 Like
3 Likes

Before checking the map, I was thinking that 85% who believe is good. Where they live isn’t very surprising, because they’re the first ones to see the effects. I guess deniers can keep voting for pols with similar views, but it doesn’t stop them from needing disaster relief. What happens when insurers leave them hanging and they have to pay a premium to deny the damage is likely to be a tragedy.

4 Likes

“Prior to the advancement of AI and social media data, this work relied on expensive and time-consuming surveys"

Now we can churn out wildly inaccurate surveys in a fraction of the time!

Is anyone else seeing lots and lots of very, very red counties labeled as high % Democrats? I live in one. And just about every county in my region looks wrong. Am I misinterpreting the map?

Also, what the heck does this even mean?

They then used statistical models to determine the typical profile of someone who does not believe in climate change and performed network analysis to identify the structure of the social media network for both climate change belief and denial.

5 Likes

I think that can be read as: “We used a lot of math to try and explain why people that believe in climate change don’t bother following those that don’t”

1 Like

Wait, are you saying people use social media in silos???

3 Likes

I’m using social media in a silo right now

4 Likes

The thing is, does being informed about reality represent a silo? It’s meaningless when there’s groups of people who cluster in information networks based on reality and others who cluster based on misinformation.

The term “silos” has become as meaningless as “partisan.” There’s nothing partisan about reading and understanding science - and basing policy on it; there’s nothing partisan about believing yourself and others have a basic right to live; there’s nothing partisan about driving action to keep our planet livable for humans. It’s meaningless when the “other side” is determined to ignore reality and push for harm and destruction for everyone.

6 Likes

I feel kinda dumb, I was imagining @atteSmythe on their computer in a corn silo.

2 Likes

Probably there is someone cleaning out a corn silo right now, reading BBS and laughing their keister off. :crossed_fingers:

I’d like to believe ‘silo’ is more than rancid business-speak for “upper management is not smart enough to understand what your team actually does”.

6 Likes

I agree that “silos” is a subtle bothsides-ism

2 Likes

It doesn’t have to be, but in this shitty parallel universe it does.

4 Likes

Or in a decommissioned Titan-II launch site somewhere in Kansas.

4 Likes

A Man Died Last Week Crossing an Intersection City Officials Pledged to Improve Six Years Ago

3 Likes
6 Likes