This Is Fine

I recommend this one instead… Although I have seen an argument about how Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc, are indeed, planned economies…

7 Likes

I like to think of Costco as an actually functional communist collective that you pay to join. No actual competitive choices for most stuff, just adequate goods at decent prices and the occasional surprise. :grin:

6 Likes

Seeing the ammonite used for that reminds me of heteromorphs – an old name for ones that do not have a regularly coiled shell. The variation reflects them spreading to niches where swimming is less important, like crawling along the bottom or floating. At first, though, they were viewed as signs of the degeneration of the lineage ultimately leading to its extinction. That goes with the theory of “racial senescence” promoted by some leading paleontologists…an idea rather at odds with Darwinian evolution, but which instead fit with their eugenicist concerns about races in humans.

I guess now we are to reinterpret the story yet again through the prevailing ideology of our day, which is that disruption is a positive thing even as we watch everything burn down around us. Sorry ammonites, but it’s for the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead. :unamused:

6 Likes

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

3 Likes

Do I hear an echo of Still Alive? :slight_smile:

We do what we must
Because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.

3 Likes

https://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2013/05/brad-delong-1997-the-corporation-as-a-command-economy.html

7 Likes

Thanks! I think that was probably the argument I was thinking of…

7 Likes

7 Likes
6 Likes

Get out your 2024 bingo cards:

11 Likes

ETA:

15 Likes

DARVO

DARVO

DARVO!!

15 Likes

crosses several topics — crypto, AI, climate, etc

7 Likes

The aftermath of Hurricane Beryl in the Houston area, focusing on the impact of prolonged power outages:

Based on the response (or lack of one) from the power company, it could be weeks before service is restored. :cry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes
10 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

14 Likes
13 Likes

Trump’s fashy supporters will say that this is ‘social Darwinism’ and we should let them die bc reasons the billionaires told them :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

In a sane and civil society that shit would be illegal and abhorrent to everyone…

12 Likes

Seen at the RNC. It’s also not the only time I’ve seen it in the last 24 hours.

15 Likes