This Is Fine

10 Likes

while i do know these things are happening in texass, and can think of two locales this could be related to, i found it odd that the article never names the town, county or even an area of that Very Big State™.
is this the same BS we have been hearing about in Llano? Granbury? are we to suspect it is the entire state? the article merely states “texas police” are tasked with the investigation. Texas Rangers, the state police?
i agree with the sentiment, but the lack of specifics makes it soind like the state government is behind this and not local cops.

10 Likes

It was Grandbury. Local cop wasted 2 years and a whole lot of the school district’s money and the time of their employees, and frightening the librarians. All in a school district already banning books. Just not banning enough.

13 Likes

that’s what i thought. didn’t want to click the xitter links to find out. thanks for the yahoo reprint.

sad aside: i grew up outside of Granbury, in Hood County and graduated from GHS (a very long time ago).

10 Likes

After Finland legalised migrant pushbacks, many fear a ‘dangerous precedent’
Finland’s new law to deal with cases of instrumentalised migration has set alarm bells ringing for its far-reaching provisions.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/07/30/after-finland-legalised-migrant-pushbacks-many-fear-a-dangerous-precedent

5 Likes

I can only wonder what Macron served this crowd, but have no problem imagining the reaction of the public:

France Bastille GIF

8 Likes
10 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

The ubiquity of militant iconography and extremist slogans is not a manifestation of robust free speech, but a sign of a democratic crisis and a deeply pathological political culture. If a democracy that deserves the label is to emerge out of this current mess, America will need to establish societal boundaries against the public display of violence, the open embrace of militancy, the casual spouting of extremist ideology and conspiratorial nonsense. A country in which it is regarded as socially acceptable behavior to wear a t-shirt to the airport with which you pledge to either kill or banish a good portion of your fellow citizens and fellow airplane passengers is not a nation in which democracy will be sustainable.

Let’s not be naïve: Such boundaries, even if they were to be rigorously enforced, would not end the political conflict. The underlying struggle over status and power is real, with tremendous material stakes – it won’t be solved by symbolics. The people wearing such extremist gear on their Saturday morning family visit to the National Zoo won’t change their idea of the “natural” societal order just because they have to clear out part of their wardrobe. But such boundaries matter nonetheless. They are meaningful as bulwarks against the further normalization of extremism and violence.

We should also consider this kind of rhetoric, the public display of these slogans and symbols as a form of harassment, threat, and violence. It is directed at everyone who doesn’t conform to the rightwing ideology of who belongs in “real America,” anyone who dares to deviate from the reactionary ideal of white Christian patriarchal domination, all those whose very existence is regarded by the extremist Right as an unacceptable provocation. Rightwingers have aggressively taken to the streets, the town halls, and the beaches. They are trying to dominate the public square, and we mustn’t let them. They understand that pluralistic democracy depends on all people feeling safe in the public square. If they don’t, because it is ruled by intimidation, threats of violence, and displays of aggression, they won’t be able to participate as equal citizens. As a result, democratic political culture perishes – just what the extremists on the Right desire.

13 Likes
9 Likes

I think this is from 2021.

2 Likes
6 Likes

If the numbers look like this in one US city, the national figures are probably terrible:

I noticed gender wasn’t mentioned:

7 Likes

14 Likes

Not vaccinating your kids should be treated as child abuse.

18 Likes

At least three news outlets were leaked confidential material from inside the Donald Trump campaign, including its report vetting JD Vance as a vice presidential candidate. So far, each has refused to reveal any details about what they received.

Instead, Politico, The New York Times and The Washington Post have written about a potential hack of the campaign and described what they had in broad terms.

Their decisions stand in marked contrast to the 2016 presidential campaign, when a Russian hack exposed emails to and from Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, John Podesta. The website Wikileaks published a trove of these embarrassing missives, and mainstream news organizations covered them avidly.

15 Likes

Cowards. It’s right in line with what I’ve heard about a lot of corporate journalists-- they’re afraid of being personally attacked if they report critically on the thuggish Tromp and Co.

15 Likes

That is a fucking terrifying graph, but practicing in a lean-red area (very red county, pretty blue city) I see this routinely. Also dealing with a severe pertussis outbreak. Might be related, eh?

13 Likes

FTA:

“I don’t think they handled it properly,” Eisinger said. “I think they overlearned the lesson of 2016.”

Crikey, I just learned a new verb.

Absolutely agree with @milliefink … cowards.
At best.
If not also cynical and beholden to their ruling class overlords.

:rage:

9 Likes
8 Likes