This is Galaxy Whiskey. I hope you relish it as much as I

[Read the post]

Nice job on that post title.

6 Likes

Why should “recreational” not count as “legitimate”? What’s non-legitimate on alleviating stress and recreation by any method?

5 Likes

Probably the ‘medicinal’ bit, that goes with the ‘requires a prescription’ bit.

Sitting and quietly contemplating the incoming surf is a perfectly cromulent activity, but you don’t need a scrip for it. Same with smoking a blunt … except in that case it’s ‘shouldn’t but do’ instead of ‘don’t’.

2 Likes

It may have been a lot-point for spirits, but it was a high-point in advertising. That is one bad-assed ad!

2 Likes

“This is Tranya …”

See The Corbomite Maneuver.

5 Likes

I love the ad copy. Their whole pitch is pretty much:
“But… how do I know this whisky isn’t shitty?”
“Yeah, it could be–but, hey, it might be good, too. Only one way to find out…”

8 Likes

To goldly glow…

3 Likes

Don’t spill it… http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6630455

From the post:

I had known medicinal whiskeys were available at this time, but I assumed they came in nondescript bottles, like rubbing alcohol or aspirin. But of course, they didn’t. They were packaged in these beautiful, engaging, and highly illustrated boxes and bottles, which shows that, in fact, the whole medicinal whiskey business was not about “medicine” but about letting people continue to drink whiskey.

Prohibition birthed our care for liquor brands. Walgreens sold from their pharmacy, not just whiskey, but Jack Daniels, because who knows what some bootlegger would stuff in a bottle?

Pick the good stuff and don’t go blind.

3 Likes

I hope they lasted long enough to advertise in Omni magazine, that would have been a natural.

6 Likes

I noticed that also. I had the misfortune of prostituting myself to the liquor business for a few years, and I was astonished how even the most desperate gutrot swill would claim to be “premium”, “finest”, “made from the best ingredients”, etc. I often remarked upon the reluctance of companies to fill the marketing void of even “serviceable” or “mediocre”.

6 Likes

Angry Joe’s “good enough” drinking whiskey.

Adcopy: “It’s potable.”

12 Likes

5 Likes

I give you Red Lion whisky (Smooth and Mellon):
Blended and bottled by expert from AUSTRALIA.

5 Likes

“Smooth & Mellon”

Nice.

2 Likes

I still have my tasting notes:

Subtle bouquet of Airfix cement and geranium on the nose. Interestingly corrosive mouth-feel. Flavour dominated by rotten citrus fruits at the front of the tongue, with a lingering aftertaste of old coffee grounds.

4 Likes

Allow me to explain the contamination process:

2 Likes

Then there was this:

1 Like

Erupt into a bev-RAGE with: GLUG

Tasting notes:

Like the untamed wilditude of nature, exploding in the space... Where your brain used to live.
2 Likes