This is likely a 2,000-year-old Roman dildo, say archaeologists

Maybe it was somebody uncomfortable with it or didn’t think the Romans would do such silly things.

“Silly”? There’s a typo in that word. A swapped letter.

(And I’d dearly like to know how someone thought it was a darning tool. How was it used in that context?)

1 Like

The idea is you put the wooden tool into the item you’re darning to make it keep its intended shape:

16 Likes

I can’t believe they haven’t interviewed Mel Brooks on this.

8 Likes

Hey now, Mel Brooks isn’t that old. :wink:

10 Likes

Pareidolia is a hell of a thing

1 Like

Clearly it was once owned by Biggus Dickus.

3 Likes

Wait until they find the diagrams for Hero’s Steely Dan.

2 Likes
10 Likes

The further one goes back in historical research the idea that folk have an ‘everyday’ popular sense of humor gets lost. Fun becomes ‘humor’ with ‘cultural significance’.

I like the idea that this is a pestle. The rounding of the but end (snigger) makes this plausible.

Today and back ‘then’ the idea of holding the cock end to pound seed into the mortar kinda strikes me as funny. A wanking joke.

Perhaps this talks to ideas of groundbreaking cultural attitudes around masculinity or alternatively this is the equivalent to a novelty shop item that evokes a snigger… you pound something with it. Perhaps it lost its novelty after a month of use and ended up in the bottom draw with other useless kitchen single use novelties.

11 Likes

It’s somehow both horrifying and oddly comforting to imagine an iron age Spencer’s Gifts.

11 Likes

Serious research could benefit a contemporary understanding of our modern ‘civilized society’ by understanding how many people in ancient cultures were actually kinda goofy.

7 Likes
3 Likes

I assume the first whoopie cushion was a goat’s bladder and the first joy buzzer was a handful of bees.

7 Likes

I really need a Banana for scale.

@Amstrad There is no call for posting saucy photos like that! :astonished:

:smile::smile::smile::smile:

7 Likes

Maybe that was the one they gave to the new apprentice, or someone decided to ‘decorate’ their friend’s tool. (No, not that kind of tool you dirty sods!)

6 Likes

So that is where you would get a whoopie cousin out of a sheep’s bladder.

1 Like

Dual use, surely.

3 Likes

That must be how the Red Hot Chili Peppers darn their socks.

5 Likes

Girl on a whale ship notes this object.http://www.girlonawhaleship.org/jernapp/artifact.do?shortName=fid_wooden

3 Likes

Wooden Fid, that’s what a girl on a whale ship wants you to believe! :wink:

2 Likes