It took science 2,000 years to find the clitoris (and it's 10x bigger than most people think)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/21/it-took-science-2000-years-to.html

6 Likes

These kind of stories always remind me of this headline from The Onion’s Our Dumb Century:

science-fails

25 Likes

Here’s hoping this thread *doesn’*t go as I would usually expect it to:

27 Likes

Scientists are lousy at this type of thing. They should really leave it to the lay-people.

12 Likes

Clitoris-shaped?

10 Likes

Kudos for recognizing it in its’ entirety.

15 Likes

I’m thinking it’s not a coincidence that 2000 years ago a very successful sexually-repressed religion was founded.

19 Likes

Most guys will prematurely come… to conclusions?

17 Likes

Indeed.

12 Likes

2000 years?

I don’t think the scientific community was even looking for most of that time.

7 Likes

I remember reading about this awhile ago and was surprised that they only just then figured out the shape. I do try to keep it in mind when messing around and it seems to be working.

Also, obligatory:

5 Likes

Several women I knew in college passed around a small book explaining the anatomy of the clitoris - in the early 1970s. They assumed that the new knowledge would change how men understood women’s sexual responses. And they said it explained why anal sex felt so great. The diagrams in it matched the current “new discovery” images.

That was nearly 50 years ago, and this keeps coming up as “new” information every few decades. But then, most men don’t realize that a percentage (in some men a large percentage) of their penis is internal, either. We’re just not very smart or well educated, no matter what we claim to ourselves.

8 Likes

Do you remember the name of the book?

2 Likes

Hmmmm, it’s anecdotal but among the women I know, there is no consensus on this point.

7 Likes

What? We’re all different and not cookie cutters of each other? /s

16 Likes

Not amongst women no; but damn near every gay dude I know seems to think so.

Now, topping or bottoming is another matter…

13 Likes

Well, yeah. Definitely a different story with gay men (and some straight men).

1 Like

It’s well known that the location of the prostate allows for men to enjoy anal sex so much. Straight men - gay men - bi - pan - doesn’t matter.

They all crave it. I read this in some underground comics back in junior high.

21 Likes

True but we digress; the topic of this thread is the clitoris, not any guys’ preferences regarding anal.

18 Likes

People are hard on scientists in this case, but it’s not really fair. People knew a lot more about the subject than they could publish in their proper Victorian science journal. Nor would it have been easy if at all possible to get a grant to study what women like in sex. Sex was for procreation only, not for perverted fun times, at least according to the norms of the day.

I don’t know for sure, but I’ve always suspected the meme about the guy who has never discovered the clit is overblown. Sure there are dudes who are totally self centered or selfish and refuse to consider their partner, but they are a minority. Although I admit they may be over-represented in the population of men without a stable sex partner who fill up dating sites and bars at night. There may be an even smaller subset who think deriving pleasure from sex is a sin and should be avoided; both men and women in this case. But I think the majority of guys know that you can rub a partner in a specific place and they will enjoy it very much. This is not a hard concept for most people to figure out.

2 Likes