This is not the Star Wars Hotel experience fans were looking for

I think the problem here (and why people are comparing it to Star Trek) is that Star Wars’s key aesthetic is a worn in look to almost everything. i guess the empire ships are pretty clean but the good guys and aliens are always dealing with vehicles with chipped paint and missing parts. Architecture that looks centuries old and a bit ruined. look, I realize the Star Wars universe has expanded wildly with cartoons and comics and for all I know the aliens in that ad have been introduced somewhere else before, but if I wanted something that felt Star Wars I’d want something more familiar with what I love about Star Wars already. Weirder aliens and more beat up stuff and big 70s computer buttons. Ha.

For what it’s worth I think they did a great job with the Star Wars land (galaxy’s edge/batuu) are of Disneyland. Even though it’s set in the new trilogy era, it FEELS like Star Wars.

3 Likes

This looked like something out of Red Dwarf to me…

9 Likes

I bet they have a cool Buck Rogers midichlorian-themed norovirus to help capture that cruise ship magic.

9 Likes

I dunno, Cloud City mostly looked pretty clean in the public-facing areas. Maybe if you take a peek behind doors that aren’t meant for guests you’ll get to see the Ugnaughts working in a waste-processing area, playing a traditional game of “keep-away.”

1 Like

You’re right. Also, the Star Warsiverse has a pervading feeling of menace, lurking evil. They really need to spice up the experience with some stormtroopers or bounty hunters firing on and boarding the space liner and rousting guests out of their rooms as they search for rebel scum. Something. Anything to cut the boredom.

6 Likes

The problem is that the beat-up/lived-in aesthetic of the rebel alliance and associated smugglers doesn’t really fit with the concept of a luxury cruise. There are plenty of examples of shiny-new looking ships in the movies but none of them are where the main characters spend most of their time, because they were fighting a war instead of taking a vacation.

Maybe they should have ditched the idea of a luxury cruise ship entirely and billed the experience as a chance to spend a couple days on a transport in the rebel fleet. Of course, if they’d gone that direction it would be weird that so much of the experience was based around shopping.

13 Likes

Canto Bight or Blight or whatever it was called? Was it so forgettable that we didn’t realize this ship takes people there, or is from there, or is just lame like that part of the franchise?

4 Likes

Even the people in the movie hated it there.

4 Likes

I smell a particularly dystopian brand synergy here… a SW-themed Amazon delivery fulfillment center! Partner with droids to get the rebel supplies out before the evil Imperials write you up for taking an unauthorized bio break.

8 Likes

The stormtroopers could rough up anyone not wearing their mask properly. Wait, I guess I’d agree with them then. Star Wars is getting to be ethically confusing.

3 Likes

… and what is with the transmission issues (fake static etc)? Surely an expensive intergalactic cruise company can deliver details of their offering to their customers without glitches. If it were some final transmission from a doomed mission I can accept this but as a piece of marketing for your upcoming trip?

7 Likes

Don’t, whatever you do, press ANY buttons!

4 Likes

It’s a call back to the message Leia recorded on R2D2 - the retrofuture where they can fly between star systems but even locally recorded communications are glitchier than a TV screen…

3 Likes

“We’re the phone company. We don’t care. We don’t have to.”

5 Likes

‘Teleprompter much?’

Yep - the teleprompter is too close to her which makes the actress’s eyes scan left and right across the page.

Really surprised that got past the production crew.

5 Likes

Especially with something so obviously cheap to refilm and process.

3 Likes

It’s also technique and column width. A good presenter reads line by line at a glance rather than by scanning every line left to right.

2 Likes

CB59C6C8-8A42-49BB-8BDF-6F87D81BD904

4 Likes

Yes! I did this in 2007, and I was cruising along thinking, “this is just sort of OK.” Then the transporter thing happened I was pleased for the rest of the experience. Wouldn’t want to pay full price though. There was a ST-themed bar there too and the drinks looked awful.

3 Likes

It’s almost like they don’t care, or are trying to minimize investment while milking the star wars cow for as much as humanly possible with the least effort…

5 Likes