This is the color of cyberspace

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/05/shark-jumping-grey.html

7 Likes

I’ve always wondered what it’s like to be the person who names colors for marketing purposes. There’s gotta be a ton of weird stuff going on behind the scenes, there.

13 Likes

Not exactly the warm & fuzzy colors.

8 Likes

It should be static of a dead TV channel.

20 Likes

What’s the color for Cyberpunk? Neon pink or green?

11 Likes

I want to know more about African Gray

3 Likes

23 Likes

I was about to criticize them for not being able to settle on one spelling of “gray” but clicked through and apparently that’s just Cory. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure cyberspace is iridescent purple and pink.

Not gray.

The information superhighway is always green wireframe though.

15 Likes

Yeah that’s fair. In fact more of their line should be parrot colors.

4 Likes

Dang, now I actually want a house just so I can paint it gray with bright pops of red-orange trim like that.

6 Likes

I’ve said this before here and elsewhere: All hail William Gibson, seer and prophet of these techorrific last days.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Beautiful plumage (not).

4 Likes

It’s sad/odd that imagery from “Snow Crash” by William Gibson means nothing to anyone under 27.
“What you mean it was black?”

6 Likes

what

2 Likes

I prefer the imagery in Neil Gaiman’s Neuromancer.

12 Likes

testpattern

6 Likes

Neuromancer:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

That’s real life, though. Case was incapable of jacking in.

In the Beginning was the Command Line (by the author of Snow Crash):

This distinction was of a technical and abstract nature, but it became clearer when the machine crashed (it is commonly the case with technologies that you can get the best insight about how they work by watching them fail). When everything went to hell and the CPU began spewing out random bits, the result, on a CLI machine, was lines and lines of perfectly formed but random characters on the screen–known to cognoscenti as “going Cyrillic.” But to the MacOS, the screen was not a teletype, but a place to put graphics; the image on the screen was a bitmap, a literal rendering of the contents of a particular portion of the computer’s memory. When the computer crashed and wrote gibberish into the bitmap, the result was something that looked vaguely like static on a broken television set–a “snow crash.”

7 Likes

It might be the part of cyberspace where the NXDOMAINs are stored.

4 Likes