This is the creator of Comic Sans

There’s a lot of Facebook memes that’ve seemed to generate fake hatred towards various random things among some people, true. “■■■■■” is a great example. I have a friend who makes a big fuss whenever she hears that word, saying how it’s the worst word in the English language, how it’s disgusting, etc; I’m 99% certain she only decided that after seeing someone whining about it on Facebook.

That said, Comic Sans is a terrible font that gets used for deeply inappropriate things.

7 Likes

Maybe it was just the juxtaposition with the other horrible fonts, but that article actually made me want to code in Comic Sans…

Also, a new reason to love Comic Sans: The other day, some cybergenius lazily masked their email address as the assistant dean of my program and sent out a phishing email with a malware-laden *.pdf attachment. The mysterious, vaguely believable email body was written in, you guessed it, Comic Sans. It turned a “what an asshole” moment into a “what a charmingly bumbling cartoon burglar” moment.

4 Likes

I have a really hard time coding using a non-monospace font. Hmm… I just had a wonderful idea!

Wait for it…

Comic Sans Mono! The whimsical programmer’s font.

5 Likes

Now that’s just gross.

2 Likes

So what you’re telling us is that @Knome is essentially right.

As opposed to appropriate things like BBS conversations. (𝔉𝔯𝔞𝔨𝔱𝔲𝔯 𝔡𝔬𝔢𝔰𝔫’𝔱 𝔮𝔲𝔦𝔱𝔢 𝔠𝔲𝔱 𝔦𝔱 𝔴𝔥𝔢𝔫 𝔡𝔦𝔰𝔠𝔲𝔰𝔰𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔄̡̜͕̬̰𝔓̵͔͚̟̮̦̲̗𝔏͎͖̠̻͉̬̭ ̬̭̬͈̫͞𝔭̕𝔯𝔬̧͕̤͇𝔤͘𝔯̧𝔞̩͢𝔪̛̦𝔪̖𝔦̛̘͍𝔫͙̺͇͚͘𝔤̵̫̼ 𝔞𝔢𝔰𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔱𝔦𝔠𝔞𝔩𝔩𝔶.)

4 Likes

So - even once a day! Huzzah!

I always found it delightfully whimsical that the French instruction program I use asks me to translate the sentence “Tu as un jolie canard” (you have a pretty duck), but now I realize that there is probably something more sinister going on.

3 Likes

For coding and really all things mono, I fell in love with Lucida Mono EF.

Initially I had fallen in love with the Apple font Monaco - so much so that I used font conversion programs to use it in Linux. However Monaco lacked the Italic, bold, and bold-italic variants. For coding that doesn’t matter but for some monospace uses it does.

Then I stumbled upon Lucida Mono EF - designed by the same people and very similar to Monaco but better, and it has the italic, bold, and bold-italic variants.

Historically it was sold as a Type 1 PFB but now it seems to only be available as Type 1 outline OTF - which doesn’t play well in Linux (though OTF support is better than it use to be), but it is easy to convert to Type 1 PFB.

1 Like

That is a good one. I used the Lucida family of fonts for years. Over the past couple of years, I’ve settled on Bitstream Vera Sans Mono as my programmer font of choice.

2 Likes

Those aren’t serifs, they’re crossbars.

Are they? I’m not a typographer, so I don’t know. Crossbars seem to be just the mandatory horizontal lines, such as the crossbar in an “H,” which you can’t leave off and still have the same letter. The capital “I” in a serif font has horizontal lines at the top and bottom, whereas the “I” in a sans serif font does not. That seems to suggest that those lines are, indeed, serifs. Do you have a link on typeface anatomy that explains this clearly and explicitly references the letter “I”?

1 Like

Those bits can be serifs, but in this case they’re part of the structure of the letters, not embellishments. There’s no hard and fast rule, and a fairly wide grey area, but in general the things on the I and J would only be considered slab serifs if that were consistent with the rest of the font. Many sans serif fonts have crossbars on the I.

I don’t have an authoritative link but you can probably find a better explanation if you’re really interested.

1 Like

In the dark days of 2007, I had to print one hundred t-shirts the “design” of which consisted solely of an url in comic sans. (I didn’t have to but the dude wanted 'em that way, was in a bloody hurry, and was paying $12 a pop.) I printed a lot of garbage on that job, and I designed a lot of crap as well, but never have I felt as dirty.

4 Likes

My favorite use of comic sans is a t-shirt I owned in the early 90s with a pentagram and the words “fuckin’ evil” underneath.

3 Likes

Comic Sans was created in the mid 90s

1 Like

Okay then, mid-90s - I wasn’t really thinking 1991. The shirt existed, nonetheless.

2 Likes

LOL . . . . :confused:

Clearly, Comic Sans was inspired by a Satanic shirt from the early 90’s. Mystery solved. Satan created Comic Sans. Now, the existence of Comic Sans makes sense.

8 Likes

I’ve been using Inconsolata that has been awesome patched so that my terminal, zsh, and my various editors/ides.

1 Like

I don’t know, Lucifer is associated with beauty and creativity…i’m guessing this crap came straight from the big man, and comic sans was first seen by man on the original ten commandments.

8 Likes