This is the creator of Comic Sans

2 Likes

this is one of those instances in which i actually find myself agreeing with @Mister44

as a teacher in a high-tech district i’m expected to incorporate a lot of different types of technology into my lessons on a weekly if not daily basis. after studying tufte’s monograph β€œthe cognitive style of powerpoint” i’ve worked to make any presentations i use a backdrop to provide enhancements to my speaking about the topic and the discussion i facilitate among my students instead of as the alpha and omega of the information. the only exception is if i’m getting them to take down some important vocabulary for their science journals, in that case the medium really is the message.

over time i experimented with many different fonts and i have found that when i am introducing truly new material they have never before encountered and which they find to be abstract and/or difficult using comic sans really does seem to lighten their mood and make them less tense about it. otoh, when i am reinforcing or extending material they have seen before i find that times new roman and bookman old style seems to give the text an authoritative quality that seems to make them more willing to accept the extension of previous knowledge.

i wouldn’t use comic sans for a resume but i find it’s use helpful in the context listed above.

11 Likes

Comic Sans was originally invented for Comic Chat, which was a pretty damn cool IRC client – definitely ahead of its time. And, in this context, a comic-like font makes perfect sense.

The comic @brzap posted seems like a particularly mean spirited response to a fucking typeface.

That said, I cringe as much as anybody else when I see Comic Sans (mis)used in so many places, but I don’t understand why it fills so many with so much seemingly irrational rage. Unlike many other β€œfun” or novelty typefaces it’s pretty readable.

Connare has another quote I much prefer:

8 Likes

Yes, Comic Chat was a good and appropriate use of the font, and was fun to use.

2 Likes

Because it is bad. Hey, I think I’ll put big serifs on just one letter.

I thought I had seen it all, when I received an MSDS in Comic Sans, to go along with the product’s label in Comic Sans. And the invoice in Comic Sans.

8 Likes

Well, two, really. I and J.

1 Like

Well, when you order Unobtainium what do you expect?

1 Like

Even a broken clock is right twice a day :wink:

3 Likes

Man I hope that tattoo dude isn’t bothered by kerning.

4 Likes

𝔗π”₯𝔒 π”©π”žπ” π”¨ 𝔬𝔣 ℭ𝔬π”ͺ𝔦𝔠 π”–π”žπ”«π”° 𝔱𝔬 𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔳𝔦𝔑𝔒 𝔱π”₯π”žπ”± π”žπ”―π”±π”¦π”°π”±π”¦π”  𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔦𝔫 𝔅𝔅𝔖 𝔦𝔰 π”£π”―π”²π”°π”±π”―π”žπ”±π”¦π”«π”€. β„‘ 𝔰𝔲𝔭𝔭𝔬𝔰𝔒 β„‘ 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 π”₯π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔱𝔬 𝔰𝔒𝔱𝔱𝔩𝔒 𝔣𝔬𝔯 π”‰π”―π”žπ”¨π”±π”²π”― π”¦π”«π”°π”±π”’π”žπ”‘β€¦

10 Likes

Unless it’s one of these:

7 Likes

Agreed. The only thing I can figure is that the rage people feel about Comic Sans is much more of a meme than an actual real world phenomenon. Like, dare I say it, so many people’s supposed disgust at the word β€˜β– β– β– β– β– .’

6 Likes

Let me see if I can help you with that. Comic Sans is an example of extremely poor typographical design, which, due to its inexplicable presence on computers everywhere, has been put to use in countless inappropriate places. It’s not even good comic lettering. It’s very bad comic lettering that should never be used…well, anywhere.

2 Likes

That is breathtaking…

1 Like

I must admit this article gave me a laugh: https://wildlyinaccurate.com/worst-fonts-for-programming/

3 Likes

It is really fitting that Connare sounds like Connard (asshole) in french.

1 Like

Came here to post this, you beat me to it by like 14 hours.
*waves fist *

There’s a surprising amount of people in the world who don’t see comic sans as a bad thing, it took greater deal of effort than I was expecting to persuade my friends not to use it on their band poster and cd cover. Comic sans has its place (passive aggressive office notes, insensitively chirpy condolence letters, depictions of graphic design where the clueless creator clearly believes they are radical and gnarly) but if it’s being used seriously let it please be ironic and owning of the awesome evil power it holds rather than becoming an unwitting agent of evil yourself.

1 Like

It is popular to hate the font but it is not a bad font for its intended purpose, its just fonts for its intended purpose are not good fonts to use the way that many people used Comic Sans MS.

Incidentally, a lot (but not all) dyslexics seem to be able to read Comic Sans MS better than other fonts.

2 Likes

4 Likes