This is the happiest country in the world

Originally published at: This is the happiest country in the world | Boing Boing

4 Likes

levels of GDP, life expectancy, generosity, social support, freedom and corruption

None of those are measures of happiness.

Neither is self-reporting of well-being btw. At least not when comparing different cultures with different expectations of not only happiness but also what to answer on such a survey.

4 Likes

Finland has a much lower suicide rate than the United States. This implies that people are at least happy that their government addresses mental health.

12 Likes

the happiest country in the world is still Finland!

Thanks, I’m still kicking myself for not jumping ship I was on [41 years ago] and staying there forevers. I had what I can only describe as a wonderful fun filled 2 weeks there while our ship was being repaired.
Dang it!

16 Likes

I guess that “happy” doesn’t necessarily mean “good”. The Finns could be perfectly happy while bathing in the blood of their foes.

8 Likes

Ask any Russian, they did not fare/fair [sp] well in the many wars & battles with the Finns.

10 Likes

True. However, measurement of happiness is complex and has been controversial wherever it has been applied. See for example:

There’s certainly no easy way to make comparisons between nations, and especially between cultural groups. However, I think it’s really important that we try, because existing measures of progress (e.g. GDP) are truly hopeless at capturing what matters to people.

9 Likes

Those sun lamps must be more effective than I thought.

I really love this measure and how it cuts through to the important things in life. GDP per capita plays a role, but more important contributors are combinations of social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and a lack of corruption. The comparison with the mythical country of “Dystopia”, where the values for each of the other valuables are the lowest observed in the survey, is also interesting.

8 Likes

I’m happy Right Now!

@gracchus I’d say the overwhelming supply of EMPATHY towards others is a factor. I noticed it right off, it was nice change of pace from just coming from Russia or as it was then USSR.

15 Likes

Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. But how you gonna quantify it?

5 Likes

I’m quantifying my happiness Right Now!

13 Likes

Yes, yes, of course. But are you quantifying it enough to beat the Finns?

4 Likes

Just off the phone with the Finns, they say I’m good on the happiness meter, almost off the charts, Right Now…

12 Likes

Finland has it all.

16 Likes

I think Palin had lots of fun singing it!

1:15 always gets to me.

7 Likes

I think low income inequality, a good safety net, legal certainty and equal treatment to all go a long way to give a baseline happiness to a country. Living in the global No 4, these are all things that I cherish, much more than low taxes or the ability to bribe my way through life.

6 Likes

One word: kalsarikannit.

Right now!

16 Likes

If ignorance is bliss, the good ol’ USofA should be number one.

5 Likes

Only if everybody’s ignorant about the same things.

5 Likes

Kick off your Karhus and celebrate by watching The Match Factory Girl while chomping on some Halva licorice washed down with Sahti

3 Likes