This is the madness that happens when you break open cattails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/this-is-the-madness-that-happe.html

5 Likes

This lends itself to a variety of crude humor.

Can’t imagine why.

7 Likes

Impressive.

Apparently, much of the plant is edible…

9 Likes

We collected these [in the ole century] for fire kindling, they have a very wonderful earthy smell while burning.

13 Likes

We had tons of these around growing up, and had tons of fun with them. If you bean your sibling in the head with one just right, it explodes in a big cloud of fluff.

12 Likes

30 Likes

OK - totally going to see if I can do this. I assume we have to wait later in the fall for them to mature? We had some decorative cat tails when I was a kid, and I could see a little fluff on them, but never thought to break them open.

4 Likes

A safety message for those of you who plan on using cattails for… other things.

3 Likes

That looks ridiculous. Where’s the sauerkraut?

4 Likes

Sort of reminds me of grooming a Siberian Husky in the spring time. The whole neighbourhood would share in the adventure on windy days.

10 Likes

That’s a yes. Before the seed pod is ripe, it won’t act like it does in the video.

3 Likes

Where I come from, corn dog grass is grass that makes you want eat corn dogs. It’s now legal in Canada!

4 Likes

This could become a sort of NSFW cinnamon dust challenge.

Interesting. When you go to Youtube, where the video is hosted, it has this in the description:

To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email licensing@storyful.com

I wonder how many broadcasts have contacted them.

They also work well as a coal extender which is used for carrying a coal from fire to fire or from a friction board to kindling. You can see it here at :55 (btw, she’s not smoking)

3 Likes

Yeah, they’ll have to ripen and fully dry. Late autumn. Some varieties aren’t this fluffy, though.

2 Likes

I had never heard of this cattail stuff, so I was terrified for a bit when I read the headline.

1 Like

When I was a little kid cattails and pussy willows were two of my favorite plants. I was a cat lover from an early age and I call our current cat Pussy Willow because of that childhood fascination. She never comes when I call her so I figure it doesn’t matter what I call her.

3 Likes

My takeaway: this website exists and is actually info about cattails. The straightforwardness is overwhelming.

3 Likes

I was also remembering years ago seeing lots of cattails in the local marshes, though not so much these days, and thought maybe invasive phragmites reeds/rushes were crowding them out. It’s, as ever, more complicated: There are native cattails, but there are also nonnative invasive cattails that became very widespread and even hybridized with the native cattails. That’s probably the stuff I remember, from back afore the phragmites came to town:

2 Likes