This Klipsch home theater surround sound system is on sale for over 50% off

Originally published at: This Klipsch home theater surround sound system is on sale for over 50% off | Boing Boing

$419.99 is not as good a deal as the $399.95 at Amazon. And you still need a 5.1 amplifier to drive these speakers.

Strange that you can make a wireless connection to the subwoofer, but the other five speakers must be wired.

You can pick up something acceptable for about $300 and it will probably beat any soundbar.

Why not on sale for $1400?

The subwoofer probably has its own power cord to plug into the wall.

You really can’t overcome physics. Smaller speakers will never sound as good as bigger ones.

2 Likes

“No highs, no lows… gotta be a Bose.”

• Powered Subwoofer
  • Dimensions: 4"H x 4"D x 4"W
  • Weight: 15lbs
  • Power handling: 50W RMS (150W peak power)
  • Down-firing woofer: 8"
  • Wireless transmitter

That’s a mighty small subwoofer. How does the 8" woofer fit in this enclosure, I wonder.

1 Like

Yep. Here’s mine.

(Disclaimer: not actually the poster or his speakers)

3 Likes

That’s the gold standard for inconspicuous, right there.

1 Like

I wonder how 'muricans and Brits pronounce Klipsch.

I can basically feel the potential for 47 seconds of fun on YT here.

Wow, talk about loading the corner!

The heart of my system is a Yamaha RX-V685 driving Infinity IL-40 towers. When my partner first got her Apple Watch we were delighted to learn what a convenient controller it makes when her phone is pushing to the Yamaha over AirPlay. Specifically, the crown of the watch is the volume control. She was enjoying being able to control so much power so effortlessly, but was of course being careful about it.

I told her to feel free to “explore the studio space” because I had the amplifier’s volume capped in the config at a loud but safe level. You can see where this is going, right?

It was very fortunate that I happened to be standing in the living room when she proved me wrong, as we quite suddenly had a Marty McFly moment on our hands, which is why those oversize speakers reminded of this almost not at all funny anecdote. Don’t worry, I was somehow miraculously uninjured despite literally throwing myself across the room to grab the big black knob.

1 Like

First the speaker “Klips”, and then a “sh” comes from the blown driver?

1 Like

The little tower to the side is the amp.

The controls seem optimistic.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.