This laundry egg has over 4,000 reviews on Amazon and is now on sale for over 30% off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/19/this-laundry-egg-has-over-400.html

To my mind 4,000 reviews isn’t a good thing, rather it is often a sign that a company is paying for or otherwise manipulating reviews. Fakespot agrees in this case:

7 Likes

Are these new and improved over the ones the Scientologists were pushing a few years back. I think back then you actually made fun of them.

5 Likes

Choice Australia found laundry balls worked similarly to plain water in your washing machine.

7 Likes

I’m so old I remember when BoingBoing would attack companies for using the phrase ‘detox’ in their advertising as unsubstantiated woo.

7 Likes

Not a bad idea, provided it really works. I like the idea that there’s an unscented version. I browsed through a few videos and reviews, and I guess it might be worth a try, espcially since they have a

The Ecoegg site says:

If you’ve previously used liquid or powder detergent and fabric conditioner, there will be a build-up in your machine pipes that sometimes causes nasty odours. Before using the Laundry Egg, which does not contain harsh chemicals, it is good to thoroughly clean your machine.

According to this review:

there is no risk in giving it a try – Ecoegg (UK) and SA have a “Love it or return it” guarantee: If you don’t love your purchase, for whatever reason, just return it within 30 days for a full refund – no questions asked.

IDK if the BoingBoing shop also offers that.

In one of the comments it was mentioned the instructions say you can skip the rinse cycle if your machine has that option.

FWIW: Here in Germany you can get an Egg with pellets for 70 washes for €17, and refill for 210 washes for €15, so the BoingBoing offer sounds like a fair deal if you can use all that it includes, i.e. you have a dryer and want to use a dryer egg.

If a scammer will lie to you about what the product does then they will lie to you about being able to return it, putting as many hoops to jump through as possible. That may or may not happen in this case, but just because a company says there is no risk in buying their product doesn’t make it so.

1 Like

According to https://www.safehouseholdcleaning.com/review-ecoegg-laundry-egg/ the pellets are made of:

Sodium C12-C16 Olefin Sulfonate
Sodium Carbonate
Calcium Carbonate
Sodium Bicarbonate
Sodium Metasilicate
Dodecyl Alcohol, Ethoxylated
Cellulose Gum
Sodium Citrate

So mostly some abrasive, washing soda and a weak acid.

5 Likes

without fading colors or leaving chemical residue behind like traditional detergents

Sodium C12-C16 olefin sulfonate is a detergent.

3 Likes

Well, TIL.
I’m guessing the gum is here to prevent it from dissolving all at once, the mechanical stress during washing breaking up enough of it to release some for the job…
I still will be using regular detergents with maybe an old pair of slippers added in for the really dirty stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.