"This Male-Designed Female Character Just Loves To Flaunt Her Sexuality"

Are you new to the internet? Rule 34? :wink:

10 Likes

are we giving fish or teaching fishing here?

4 Likes

Oglaf is one of the two media products I consume every sunday. The other one is Sendung mit der Maus, an excellent TV series for primary school kids as target audience.

WHAT? Yes, I’m normal, thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Looks like we’re actually using it as an opportunity to say: “that’s not how you fish, stupid!” and feel smug about it.

2 Likes

Protip: When discussing sexism, try to avoid words that are frequently used as sexist attacks.

Lifetip: Before communicating, try to identify any *ist word and find a suitable replacement.

Believe me, I like to curse as much as the next fucking goddamned shitter. But certain words ain’t worth more than the hurt they inflict on other people. Personally, I am struggling very hard to eliminate “lame” from my vocabulary.

11 Likes

Pushing aside the blatant sexism for a second: this is not how you draw breasts you emotionally regressive, culture-deaf, visually negligent, willfully ignorant clods.

4 Likes

What really gets me with these kind of stories is how the creator tries to justify it with some sort of bullshit excuse. As much as I love Hideo Kojima and Metal Gear Solid his weak ass “justifications” regarding Quiet in MGSV were pretty much the same thing.

Why can’t these creative types just come out and say, “I can understand the criticism and see why someone may find this as offensive, but this is the story I wanted to tell and this is the character I wanted to create.” rather than make up some sort of defensive bullshit excuse for why everybody is so wrong to question them.

Note: I’m not defending the creator here or saying “yay sexism” or anything like that. What I’m trying to say is if you’re creating something controversial, right or wrong, just own it or admit your mistake. Don’t flip the script and blame others for being offended or “not getting it.”

7 Likes

It’s like they did a copy & paste job from a YouTube Atheist channel whenever Anita Sarkeesian releases a new video.

3 Likes

Platinum Grit?

Cool! I used to read that in the early '90’s. Still got 'em, somewhere.

When was the last time “lame” was used to insult the physically disabled? I’ve never even seen or heard it used literally, except for injured horses. You might as well get offended when someone says that a proposal “has legs” or that they’re going into a totally unknown situation “blind” or that a jam is “def.”

4 Likes

It’s hard to know how far to go, though. I try not to use words that were used against the handicapped, yet many such words are now integrated into our vocabulary in ways that no longer invoke their exact earlier meanings. Idiot, imbecile, moron, for example, were terms for mentally handicapped people of specific IQ ranges. Is it OK to call Trump a Moron? Or even a clinical narcissist, given that that is a psychological malady?

1 Like

Rinse and repeat, so did I. It’s like when I asked a friend years ago, “What is this Human Centipede thing?” And she said, “I’m not gonna tell you, as a favor. And do NOT go look it up.” So, I went and looked it up.

5 Likes

I immediately looked down and thought, “Are they overinflated? Maybe just overvalued in the wrong way.”

11 Likes

Hey, people come in all shapes, It’s just the ones I see in gaming seem a bit… er… implausible outside of the world of barbie… Which gets a bit boring feeling.

5 Likes

TBH, smart! and perky! was as good as it got on my best day. But I don’t understand the obsession with bulbous breasts, in all form of media. It’s fascinating to me the broad differences between the male and female gaze and what subsequently grinds our corn. What worries me is that instead of expanding our vision, we have championed more male ass/full frontal in media as some sort of equivalency quota instead of exploring the vast range of human sexuality in a meaningful way.

7 Likes

I need to make up a page or a list of book marks for me to catch up and then stay caught up on things like:

Oglaf
Blue Milk
This post-apocalypic one where its a general and a sniper.
Some I am forgetting…

Used to read Something Positive for the longest time, but eventually lost interest.

2 Likes

Try Erfworld, Questionable Content, DM of the Rings and Darths and Droids.

And, for something a bit closer to Oglaf, check out Sexy Losers.

5 Likes

Add PBF, A Softer World and Calvin&Hobbes to your “read and able to quote” canon and I can nearly overlook your Guns Are Friends fault : P

3 Likes

I have most of the Calvin & Hobbes books. ETA - I need more of the Far Side books.

I am also reading Pheobe and her Unicorn with my kid, which I think is sorta like Calvin and Hobbes, only the adventures are “real”, as the Unicorn is real.

5 Likes

“That level of silicone is bound to hurt as hell compressing the thorax” is usually what I think when I see game characters boobs. I have big ones and tits don’t work like that. Really, it looks painful.

One other thing forever ignored by the male fantasy of big boobs is the fact that the weight taxes the spine. Meat is heavy! Most women with oversized breasts get reduction surgery because it’s wrecking the hell out of their backs. Pain isn’t sexy.

18 Likes