This man has made 220 videos of himself sitting in a corner and smiling for 4 hours at a time

Those two sentences there are perfect.

10 Likes

Iā€™m filing 220 DMCA complaints. That should stop him.

If you think this is disturbing, you truly havenā€™t seen disturbing.

3 Likes

Kind of like Game of Thrones, but with a lot less hangings, burnings and throat-slittings.

And not three stops underexposed, either.

2 Likes

It could be worse.

From press release for White Light / White Heat 1975

In his own words Chris Burden said, ā€œFor my one-man show at Ronald Feldman, I requested that a large triangular platform be constructed in the southeast corner of the gallery. The platform was ten feet above the floor and two feet below the ceiling; the outer edge measured eighteen feet across. The size and height of the platform were determined by the requirement that I be able to lie flat without being visible from any point in the gallery. For twenty-two days, the duration of the show, I lay on the platform. During the entire piece, I did not eat, talk, or come down. I did not see anyone, and no one saw me.ā€

1 Like

Judging from the photograph, I have to think that he is the man for the job.

1 Like

He did not get funding but is doing it anyway. This is why amateurs are ruining all of our professions.

3 Likes

Donā€™t want to check the 200+ videos but isnā€™t he the guy who pissed himself on video while doing his smiling thing?

You have to admit that he is very dedicated - He keeps smiling, even when pissed.

1 Like

Building a seemingly functional shell around a disorder of any type doesnā€™t make it go away. The subject simply expresses that disorder in less destructive ways. Like smiling for hours at a time.

I can do that too.

I havenā€™t watched these, is there any way they werenā€™t faked in some way?

check out #5. An intruder breaks into his house and slowly makes his way up to his sitting and smiling chamber. He doesnā€™t break character and when the intruder sees him siting there he books it out of there.

4 Likes

Although the claim is that he sits there for 4 hours, he doesnā€™t. The video may be 4 hours long, but if you double the speed of the YouTube playback, you can see that at that doubled rate, his eye blinks become normal (the giveaway!) and the rise and fall of his chest and shoulders from breathing are normal. The way that the background light moves the shadows, and the way that the shadows move closer or farther from the corner as his sits up or slouches suggests that he really does sit there for approximately 2 hours. But slowing the video down to roughly half speed and claiming to have sat there for 4 hours is BS.

1 Like

Look, if helping to fund his Kickstarter stops him from killing any more people, I think Iā€™d do it.

But thereā€™s nothing in his FAQ that suggests this might be the case.

is it performance art, or is it religious practice? Or by asking for support (alms?) is it both?
Even as a born and raised buddhist, I find this a little strange, but ā€œdisturbingā€?

Ok, but 2ā€™ from the ceiling is not a lot of clearance space. If youā€™re there for 22 days, assuming that you donā€™t have supernatural powers and need to drink at least, and have gone up there somewhat normally fed (so that you donā€™t die, not eating for 22 days), how did he (umā€¦) ā€œtake care of biological functionsā€? Did he go up there with a metric fuckton of jars for liquid? Not to mention the first few days of non-eating when heā€™d still be passing solids. That is disturbingā€¦

If anyone needs telepathic waves of kindness beaming at them to help the world out, itā€™s probably Youtube commenters, aye. Itā€™s too little too late, but a nice idea.

2 Likes

Itā€™s #52. Apparently in that video he forgot to take a pee break first.

Thereā€™s an interview with him on Vice: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/meet-the-man-whos-filming-himself-sitting-and-smiling-for-four-hours-a-day-121

Wow. Someone actually broke in to his house while he was doing it in episode #5. He didnā€™t move. The intruder actually opens the door to his room on camera, says ā€œHello?ā€ a couple of times, and then decides to get the hell out of there.

1 Like