No food on weekends and ice-cold baths: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey's 11 "wellness" habits

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/09/no-food-on-weekends-and-ice-co.html

2 Likes

He has billions of reasons to be who he is.

15 Likes

If you absolutely have to fast for two days each week, how about, like, Tuesday and Wednesday? Why be miserable on the weekend?

24 Likes

Why stop at a cold bath? I’m sure there are lots of weirdos on twitter who would love to cause him pain for free.

"Nothing has given me more mental confidence than being able to have a random stranger punch me in the face,” Dorsey says. ”Especially in the morning, being punched in the face by a stranger from just being warm in bed is — it just unlocks this thing in my mind and I feel like if I can will myself to do that thing that seems so small but hurts so much, I can do nearly anything.”

28 Likes

Because you’re a masochist weirdo who also does things like dunking yourself in an icy bath first thing in the morning to strengthen your willenskraft.

19 Likes

He’s got the money for it, it sounds like he could use A Cure for Wellness.

2 Likes

No enemas?

5 Likes

There’s a certain logic here for Jack, given that this regimen sounds like it came from Dr. Mengele.

2 Likes

So he meditates for an hour each morning.
And an hour every night.
Plus another 1-1.5 hours of sauna/ice bath.

And here I was thinking it was a miracle when I had 15 minutes to myself each day.

Christ what an asshole.

42 Likes

Sounds like he does the 5:2 Diet which is a form of intermittent fasting. Basically you eat normally for 5 days out of the week then do caloric restriction on the other 2 but it’s not recommended to fast on consecutive days. It seems he’s taking things to the extreme by eating only one meal a day and avoiding food entirely on weekends.

The science is shaky on IF although I’ve been practicing the 16:8 form of it for a couple of years now and it’s become second nature. I don’t miss food in the mornings and I’m not hungry so my overall calorie intake has shrunken considerably and my energy levels remain very steady over the course of the day.

I believe there’s a lot of great benefits in fasting but it has become very trendy lately so no wonder eccentrics like Dorsey have glomed onto the fad.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/

9 Likes

Still gonna die.

38 Likes

It’s a fine line between fascinating and insufferable.

18 Likes

You’re joking, but learning martial arts worked exactly that way for me.

4 Likes

So yeah. An hour per day of hot/cold interval baths (15 minutes + 3 minutes x 3), two hours per day of meditation, and 10 miles of walking per day (at around 1.5 hrs each way) means he’s spending six hours per day just farting around. I suppose it’s not too much to ask that he’d work a little time in there to get rid of the fucking Nazis on his crumbling and increasingly toxic social networking service.

46 Likes

I used to do that. Gin and Tonic isn’t food you know.

6 Likes

Or Dr Kellogg.

23 Likes

Someone needs to tell him the best way to improve your health is to ban the fucking Nazis.

34 Likes

I find a cilice around the thigh focuses the mind and cleanses the body.

11 Likes

I knew someone like this. But they had an eating disorder rather than piles of cash. When you have piles of cash, it’s a lifestyle choice.

26 Likes

I’m convinced these individuals do nothing of the sort. They spin this sort of yarn to journalists, who don’t care a damn what they print, and some poor idiot who decides it will make them rich tries to do likewise, and makes themselves miserable. It’s part and parcel of the job interviews where they insist that applicants dance for them.

15 Likes