This Massachusetts news report is so perfectly, painfully Massachusetts

(Very) alternate pronunciations abound.

1 Like

Massachusetts.
https://youtu.be/Xk9bmuncB4Q

Every shot is perfect, up until the very end.

I beg to differ. He’s doing a Paul Revere (born in Massachusetts). “A Market Basket closing is coming! A Market Basket closing is coming!”

3 Likes

I enjoyed that!

Hey, nobody has posted here that Matt, the reporter, has a few more news stories on Twitter. All of them are great!

6 Likes

Boston resident here; less often bit still common! I still use wicked a fair amount myself… usually things like… wicked hot, wicked big, wicked fast

3 Likes

“Wicked” was being used by NYC adolescents starting back in the 70s/80s (and perhaps longer). Ex: “That was a wicked shot to the balls!” For the most part, it seemed to be used in incidents where physical pain and embarrassment were coupled together.

1 Like

I am an assistant producer of one of those documentaries (shameless plug follows): “Food Fight: Inside the Battle for Market Basket”. It was the largest non-union strike in the history of American labor.

9 Likes

Good bye Market Basket #17. The Tar Pit comment slays me. I’m still laughing.

1 Like

I talked with one of the supermarket workers’ union organizers after they came out in support of the strike. It was a great story with a lot of dimensions and better lessons if we only paid it some attention.

Thanks for your work.

4 Likes

I too live here. It hasn’t completely disappeared but it seems like the younger generation is not adopting it.

One person I knew who used “wicked” in almost every conversation was from the Caribbean by way of Toronto, but he used it by itself, not as an adjective, like how Brits use it-- “that’s wicked man, wicked!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.